Oceanic Datamax Sport Battery Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I've been checking and most of the dive shops won't work on them. This was kind of my last ditch effort to unbrick this thing.

Sorry,
Worm

Anyone find an answer to this problem? I'm having the same issue with my Sherwood Source (same unit different name).

I've already replaced the battery. it scrolls through the display and then turns off, it will not go into surface mode. I know its an old unit but I really can't afford to by a new one.

Sorry, I never figured anything out about the unit. I assume the unit requires either some sort of unlock code or even possibly an entire reflash of the software. Unless someone works for oceanic that knows the proper procedure, or has access to the files, we are probably all up the creek without a paddle. My guess is that before you remove the battery entirely from the unit, if you were to jumper the proper voltage to the contacts, ensuring no power loss during the battery change, that you would be in the clear. Unfortunately, most of us are looking for the answer not because we fixed it successfully, but because we screwed the pooch, and changed the battery as was instructed (insufficiently) earlier in the post.

Sorry guys,
Worm

I did get it to work for a while.
Changed the battery initially, but it failed to power up into surface mode and switched itself off. Thus left it in the bottom of my dive bag and last year bought a Suunto Gekko.
In St. Kilda last year I suddenly found after several months lying dormant, it started working again fine, so managed to have 2 computers for a while.
Suprising I know and have no logical explanation.
Earlier this year I tried another battery, not sure which was which, and must have not done O ring properly, it flooded. Went in the bin after 13+ years.

Thus all I can advise is; change the new battery quickly, check the seal carfully, try it and if it doesnt work, kepp trying every few weeks. If it does check it is sealed correctly in a bucket.

I just goes to show how valuable these blogs are. I have an old Sport model I purchased in 1992 that is still on the original battery and is now my backup computer. With the info you guys have passed along I will be sure to piggy back a power supply to the circuit before I change the battery. I am off to the Caymens next month and the existing battery should get a real test. Once again, thanks all.

One last thought in regards to potential leaks after changing the battery. I would suggest using silicon spray, or a bit of silicon oil on a new o-ring for the cover. In some cases the small cross section of the o-ring does not create enough pressure on the grease to allow for a complete seal.

Back from a great trip in the Cayman's and decided to change the battery in the Datamax Sport. The retaining ring on the back of the module was easily unscrewed using household rubber gloves to give a grip. The unit takes a 1/2 AA 3.6 volt lithium battery which was easily purchased. Before removing the old battery I connected an external 3.6 volt power source to the battery connections on the computer, then removed the old battery and installed the new one, and removed the external supply. Replaced the size -033 o-ring and reassembled in a dry atmosphere. All is well and the computer functions as normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom