Oceanic Geo 2.0 Computer - experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Divers,
I have that Oceanic Geo 2.0 Computer since some month, but just now starting with it. I was a bit unsure, if the choice was right concerning some posts from here, but I'd like to know, which kind of experiences - good or bad - you have - thanks! :)

Probably close to 20 dives on mine. No issues so far.

hello divers,
thanks for your posts - I guess, in Europe Oceanic isn't that widespead as in US (naturally), so we aren't that experienced as you are.

Does any of you any freediving with it? And any battery life experiences? Thanks.

I've got one as well, had it for about 12 months. I use it for all my dives and have been using it for some decompression diving. I've had a mixed bag of experiences some probably my fault, some being issues with the design.

I'm generally happy with it, on dives within the NDL it is fabulous.

- when you go into decompression, it no longer shows you your run time on the main screen, it only shows you your "TAT" (total ascent time) or your decompression obligation according to their algorithm. To see your run time (more useful than TAT if you're running to tables or diving with someone on a different computer) you have to press one of the buttons. This is a minor thing, but I think it could be an issue if I'm heavily task loaded or stressed (if anyone knows how to stop this, I'd love to know)

- It had an absolute fit on me on a 35m dive on air and told me I had 599 minutes of decompression owing only 5 minutes into the dive. I had to end the dive as a result, and relied on my knowledge of mental tables.

HOWEVER, giving credit where it is due, the Geo 2.0 continued to give me depth and time during this incident (although see my first point, I had to change to a different screen to get it) so I was able to run tables. My SUUNTO had a similar problem and told me I had a ppO2 of 2.8 or something ridiculous and then didn't bother to give me useful dive data.

- To get the computer to light up so you can read the screen in dark spaces (wrecks, caverns, sinkholes and depths) you again have to press a button. Again, I dislike this from a task loading perspective but it's manageable most of the time.

- The 'watch' band is a real PITA. I'd love to be able to use a bungee mount, or a strap or something rather than having to buckle it every time. Especially around my drysuit, I have to use the 'extender' strap, which basically is just another possible failure point (yes, I have previously dropped my computer over a 100m drop-off - and yes, that was a very expensive accident).
My pet peeve is that the dive logging software doesn't work on my mac.

I'd probably give the computer a 7 to 8 out of 10 for my diving. I'd recommend it without hesitation to a new diver who is looking for a good computer they can grow with, but I don't think it's the be-all to end-all.

thanks for the detailed information! I did only some pool training with it on freediving, so I have to test it on real diving - I really like to know how diving is with it - but I will take my old Uwatec Aladin with me, just to compare then. I wonder how to handle that battery changeing, somebody posted of flooding it, I didnt check if the cover is closed enough from the beginning. But what I like from the start is the big display - for I am a bit farsighted even for that its big enough ;-) - tomorrow I check it at freediving aswell up to 25m - I post some more experiences from it!
(funny - "geo 2.0 talk" from Australia to Europe ;-) )

I love mine. I found the interface non-intuitive at first, but once I grasped the concept I was fine. I haven't gone into deco so I can't speak to that. I have never had difficulty operating it with dry gloves but I haven't had to do anything complicated.

Thanks so far for your comments! I was yesterday pool training again 12feet, changed into Freediver mode and it was working fine, ok, it starts working around 5 feet, but anyway. You can make good interval training - it switches quickly beetween free diving where you see time running in seconds to surface mode time running in seconds too. Ok, in freedive mode you cannot scroll through the dive log only via PC, but you can see always the last dive. Tomorrow I go for 25m (75feet) - and I test the geo a bit further ;-)

Do you think pool training uses battery like normal diving? (I guess stupid question, it will)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom