Oceanic Geo 2.0 Computer - experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those DC's are made by Mares and Uwatec which do use "more conservative" algorithms. I believe the Z+ algorithm on the GEO should give you more similar NDL times. Though I don't know how close they actually are.

....ok sorry - I found it now - you could say RTFM (Read The F.... Manual) - which I did partly, preferably the Freedive pages - then I will look next time first ;-) and I will switch my geo 2.0 to the more conservative algorithm after 24hours are gone (because its blocked now).

Thanks so far!

(but anyway very astonishing how strongly differ those algorithms from each other, up to now I wasnt concious about that....nearly 30%...)

You can also try the personal conservative setting.

...okeee - what is that? Can you create there your own settings?

No, thats what they call it in some of the literature. It forces the computer to compute no deco times as if you were at a higher pressure altitude. Here's what the manual has to say.

"When the Conservative Factor is set ON, No Deco Limit times are reduced to values equivalent to those that would be available at the next higher 3000 foot (915 meter) Altitude. Refer to the tables at the back."

It will have the affect of making the selected algorithum more conservative. I have never taken the time to compute how much from the tables. I have been happy with the default.

hi herb,
thanks - now my computer is free again and the first thing this morning was to set it to "P2+" algorithm ;-) - then I will test this first. If Im still curious (which I guess) the following next dive will be with "conservative factor ON", then I choose whats best for me - I like that Geo.
I hope, that battery life will go on despite lots of swimming pool training and experimenting with it...

It is also a watch, on all the time. Unless you are using the light, I doubt if diving makes a lot of difference in battery life. I think that some of issues with the life of the original battery has a lot to do with the time from manufacture to sale of that particular device. It was after all running all that time it was on the shelf.

That's not necessarily true. From the factory the computers are in "deep sleep" (which is a fancy term for off :)) you turn them only when you receive it. Unless of course the LDS turned it on when they got it and one chose to buy the "already on" one.

As far as underwater vs on land battery life - my understanding - which may be wrong - was that the underwater sampling is rather battery intensive - at least more battery intensive than sitting in a dive bag all winter

You are probably right about the sampling rate. I have both a Geo 1.0 and a Geo 2.0, both were running when I took possession. The initial battery life on both was fairly short. I am still on the replacement battery on both of them.

Both are great computers. My only problem is that I have to use the extension strap on my cold water suit and I don't trust it. I have bent a pin on one of them. Fortunately, I didn't lose the computer.

Last edited:
I agree regarding the strap - I took mine off and threaded two bungee loops through the strap pins. It's not very pretty but it works much better

Back
Top Bottom