Oceanic VT4 - how the heck do you switch gasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just getting my nitriox cert, and notice I can enter different gasses in the computer, but there is no way to switch between them.... Anyone else have a VT4 and use nitrox? Does it only work after you get in the water or something?

Yes, I've read the manual, yes I have the card that shows the menu sequence... NO I cannot get it to allow me to choose which gas mix I want to use.

I have an OC-1 and the menu structures are similar and my wife has a VT4. Just grabbed hers and thought I would try based on my experience and it was easy. Press and hold Mode until you enter dive mode. Press and hold Mode again and the gas options come up. All 4 sensors read Air until changed and will revert automatically after the computer clears from a series of dives. Press Select for Sensor 1 (or Adv to scroll to another on) and then Adv to scroll up starting with 21% EAN. MOD is also displayed. Press and hold Mode to get back to dive mode after you've made your adjustments. You do not have to be in the water.

My wife just showed me the other way to do this (though mine is slightly easier!). Get to dive mode. Press Mode briefly to access Menu. Scroll down Set Menu, Select. F-F02 is at the top of the next menu, Select. List of sensors, all set to Air. Select (or scroll to whichever you want and then Select). Hit Adv and it will start at 21% and go up from there to your EAN percentage. Hold Mode to return. If you go back in to F-FO2 you can confirm. If you let the computer sleep without diving it, it will reset to Air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom