Oceanic Zeo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joalemma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there, I am new to the boards and a beginner diver. My husband gifted me an Oceanic Zeo regulator, FDXi, yoke, swivel, just prior to the start of the pandemic. It's never been used and I recently completed a refresher course using the respective dive shop's regulator. I had taken my regulator (only first and second stage, hence using the shop's set up) and the instructor commented that what I had was fine but suggested something different may work better. I am wondering if there may be a regulator that would work better for me, or should I keep this one? It's never been used, and I can easily get an octopus and inflator hose for this set up.

After a couple dives right after the pool course, during which I resorted to supporting the shop's regulator with my thumb during the dive, I am thinking the Zeo really may be the regulator that my mouth commands. I did give the shop's regulator a good college try, not supporting it with my thumb, and it was just so much easier on my mouth having my thumb there to release the "pull". I was quite cognizant to not "bite" nor clench the mouthpiece. I just have a very, very small jaw. As in, last root canal the endodontist could only complete the job as I was able to "assist" by holding a dental instrument IN my mouth, which was propped open with a dental dam, as my father was a dentist and I was comfortable assisting that way - alternative was extraction of the tooth.

After the few dives I've done, and even when I snorkel (if I do not "support" the snorkel in my mouth), one side of my jaw is so "out of wack" that I cannot close my jaw and have to massage my jaw joint for a while, and slowly "work it", until my lower jaw can close again. Again, it's just how my mouth is built, and I'm very used to this, it just hurts and I'm looking for as much comfort as I can get in a regulator. Propping the regulator with my thumb on these two dives helped immensely, and for the first time I had no misaligned jaw!

Again, I'm a beginner diver, obviously have no shame holding the regulator while it's in my mouth (though likely not as "safe" as both hands free) and do not see myself doing anything more that casual diving in shallow, warm waters, as in "right below the snorkeler's" type diving. On the slim chance I do more, or perhaps even as more experience leads to more comfort, I can always replace said regulator.

I greatly appreciate any insight as to "the most comfortable regulator for a small mouth". Thank you!

You might have success with replacing the mouthpiece with an Aqua Lung Comfo-Bite Small (there are two sizes). This is a simple procedure and shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes. My 10 yo daughter complained of mouth pain and had to support the regulator with one hand until we made the switch.

I don’t have experience with the Zeo but it doesn’t appear to be a heavy regulator. Be mindful that shops usually have a 100% mark up on gear and are incentivized to sell you another regulator even though it may not be needed.

You might have success with replacing the mouthpiece with an Aqua Lung Comfo-Bite Small (there are two sizes). This is a simple procedure and shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes. My 10 yo daughter complained of mouth pain and had to support the regulator with one hand until we made the switch.

I don’t have experience with the Zeo but it doesn’t appear to be a heavy regulator. Be mindful that shops usually have a 100% mark up on gear and are incentivized to sell you another regulator even though it may not be needed.
Thank you for the tip. I’ve been looking for a more comfortable mouthpiece and will try that one. And yes on the sales. I’ve not read many reviews on the regulator, from the lack of reviews it does not appear that it is very popular. That being typed, after reading the limited reviews and reading up on its design, it appears my husband searched for one that may work with my mouth and this one seems to fit the bill!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom