Octo serviced and hph leaking. Am I right to be pissed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@uncfnp You are much smarter than I my lady.. However, I do listen and learn and it makes perfect senses.

Yeah a whole dollar on DGX.. Thanks

Last edited:
Normally when I get a reg set in for service I submerge it before and after the work is done. SPG's are funny. When I get a set that I have sold with an SPG part of the service is to disassemble and check the SPG/hose connection. If I see that there is no lube on the o rings I replace them and lube them generously. Where I run into issues on rare occasions is when a diver has put a console that I did not sell them on the reg. Some of them are a pain in the butt to get the gauge out of and then put back in. On those occasions I call or email the customer to make sure they want me to try and get the gauge out.
It can result in some slight deformation of the boot depending on the style and age. Learned after doing one of my own regs years ago to always check the SPG connection under water. You can't always hear a small leak.
Also agree with just replacing the spool whenever possible. I have had run into some new spools though that seem to indicate the mfg used questionable o rings and I had to replace them. It also seems like some hose connections can be funky.
Just an FYI as well, those little o rings should be a 90 duro rather than the 70 you see on LP hoses and connections.

I took my octo into one of my three choices of LDS for service. I'd had it serviced years ago, and took a long break from diving, so erring on the side of caution (it hadn't been used, but it had been sitting for years) I took it in to have it checked out. Some 5 weeks later I got it back after a call from the equipment guy who said that everything checked out, looked good, etc. That was last week.

Today, I went out for a few training dives, and upon entering the water, my buddy immediately points to my spg and says, "That doesn't look good." The back of the spg is leaking air like a sieve.
My assumption is that the guy who's doing the equipment service isn't doing his job, and now I'm questioning what he actually did for my money.

Part of servicing a reg set includes pressurizing the whole thing and dumping it under water for a time to check for leaks. A major leak can also be caught by pressurizing and then shutting the tank valve off and checking the SPG after a period of time.

I would ask the shop if they did either or both of these things. If they say they did, I would give them the benefit of the doubt, because it is possible that the failure did not become evident until after you picked up the reg set from them. Even though I service my own regs, I treat the first dive after service as a shakeout dive and am prepared for troubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom