Octogenarian Dies Diving Off Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree......................some are really.....................strange/ funny.

I know a few divers in their 80s. They dive more often than many I know in their 30s. I hope to be diving for as long as I can hold a reg in my mouth. If I can't do that any more I'll consider a full face mask. :)

Thanks for the link/article Kathy.......

Sad, but at least he died doing something he loved. I dive weekly with a 79 year old and every now and then, an 82 year old. When I dive with the 82 year old, it is from his boat doing deep wrecks at 45 metres! He even has a pacemaker!

Better to die this way than as a vegetable in a nursing home.

(too late to edit my above post....so....)......Kathy, now that I'm well a Sexagenarian, I will be especially careful @ Brac in 2 months.......:).......

Definition of Sexagenarian

I'm a septuagenarian diver well aware of the risks but also convinced that the risks are usually exaggerated. Scuba diving is usually a low energy, placid, calm, untaxing activity. That some people fall victim to the usual submerged coronary is, I think, often a result of their lack of experience causing them to become overexcited. In this respect it's much like sex. An older guy who has sex regularly is much less likely to experience difficulties, just like an experienced diver for whom frequent easy dives are no big deal.

I think a great many of the older divers who die are inexperienced and consequently hyper-excited, taxing their vulnerable heart and circulatory systems. I stopped doing very deep dives, dives in cold water, or dives involving strong currents almost a decade ago. The easy dives I do these days are about as taxing as a long walk or an afternoon roll in the hay, and about as likely to to kill me. Something will in the future, but scuba is no riskier than most things and a good deal less dangerous than, say, riding a bicycle uphill in bad weather.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom