Octogenarian Dies Diving Off Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the pleasure to dive with a woman in her late 70s last year and she my new hero. We did some high current dives that even I wished had less current, and she hung in there like a trooper. I did make sure she was OK often and our guide also was careful to keep an eye on her. My and her only wish there was less current so we could enjoy the dives more. She dives regularly and was travelling alone which I so adored her for getting out and doing what she loves without age getting in her way. I only hope that I can still be as adventurous and able to dive at her age.

This has been an interesting discussion and I can see different sides of the argument. If I was a dive op I would be worried about liability and the stress placed on my staff when they are asked to dive with an aged and possibly frail diver. But like Diver85 I am also a sexagenarian and I am not ready to stop diving yet and I am not looking forward to having people telling me that I can't do what I want (and feel capable of doing) as I get older.

Last edited:
..."having people telling me that I can't do what I want (and feel capable of doing) as I get older."

Have thought about this statement a couple times lately-----will be interesting to see how 'things go' over the next few years............:)........

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom