Off To Philippines In 6 Days!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't have much time after the liveaboard because I am returning to Manila the same afternoon. But I arrive in PP a full 24 hours ahead of departure and so will I have time to do this Underground River trip?

24hrs doesn't mean anything if you arrive in the afternoon and board the boat in following afternoon.
It is a long trip.
Perhaps you should contact the hotel and ask for advice.

I believe it only takes a couple hours (maybe three?) to get to the river. Trust me, you won't have any trouble finding transportation; they bombard you right out of the airport.

But yes, as Centrals pointed out, it wouldn't work if you arrived in the afternoon. You would need to arrive in the early AM, go to the river right away, then return in the late-afternoon. It sounds like a hassle, but from what I hear it's worth it.

There's no scuba there, but I heard there is good snorkeling. Someone I met in El Nido said they swam with the Dugongs near the start of the river. I wish I did that!

There is supposed to be some Whalesharks in Tubbataha. I have been twice in the last 3 years but had no luck. Will be going again April so hopefully its third time lucky :)

Just got back yesterday. Anilao was excellent; Tubbataha was also very good but perhaps slightly below they hyped expectations. My opinion is likely biased because the other group on our Tubbataha liveaboard saw (with proof) more than we did in many dive sites and insisted on showing off their pictures and videos.

Tubbataha was also very good but perhaps slightly below they hyped expectations. My opinion is likely biased because the other group on our Tubbataha liveaboard saw (with proof) more than we did in many dive sites and insisted on showing off their pictures and videos.
It seems what you can expect to see in Tubbataha varies with the depth you are diving... or more exactly the depth the operator will allow you (or will lead) you to dive.
The more experimented, the more you will see.

It seems what you can expect to see in Tubbataha varies with the depth you are diving... or more exactly the depth the operator will allow you (or will lead) you to dive.
The more experimented, the more you will see.

Luko could you be a bit more specific? I JUST heard about Tubbataha and we're interested in going there.

- Bill & Emily

From my limited experience( 3 times) in Tubbataha, it was kind of hit and miss!!!! Luck plays a very big part because the Reefs is huge.
The wall is deep and water is clear. Mid Apr to mid May is the best time to avoid typhoon(not guarantee though).

B
Luko could you be a bit more specific? I JUST heard about Tubbataha and we're interested in going there.

- Bill & Emily
Our experience diving Tbbataha is based only on one LoB trip. Our small group consisted of experienced divers and dive pros from SE Asia. Based on our single trip, I am not sure we would return. That said, frim our limited experience, it's hard to make an informed judgement. We did not experience much currents, although we did vary our depth during many of our dives (to ~30m+). My wife is a good open ocean spotter, so I am not sure we missed much during our 5 day trip.

Bill and Emily - my view is 'why not' visit the Sulu Sea/Tubbataha. We used Singapore Air and transferred to Cebu Pacific airlines from the same terminal (highly recommended).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom