Official vintage diving instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the 50's and 60's your brain was your computer. You memorized ( flash cards ) the dive tables.
You only needed a depth gauge and a watch and good sense...

No, I do not dive vintage today. I use today's tools since they are much better then those of yesterday.

Dead Dog,
You are writing to a group who thinks 1970 was the beginning of diving , and for them wonderful, I have no problems, And in a sense it was 1969-1970 was the last years of the U S diver double hose regulators and the beginning of the modem era of push button diving and the decline as you experienced of effective dive training.

FYI
The concept of a wet suit was developed by two gentlemen from OC in the very early 1950s several years prior to Brander & Bascoms suit. Suggest that you research historical data on a company in Newport Beach, California called "Water wear." There shoukd be a few

I had a very bright red "Water wear" suit and I recall Ron Merker's wife Carol had a lovely teal colored one.

Unfortunately both gentlemen were killed in an auto accident about 1952 and their company disappeared and their contributions have been forgotten.

From my article in the Legends of Diving , A little about Orange county ---the early dive capital of the world

Orange County - Did You Know" California SCUBA Dive Trivia
by Dr. Sam Miller
© 2010 Dr. Sam Miller
All Rights Reserved.

A few little known facts about Orange County:

• Orange County was the fountain head of recreational diving in California, the US and for the world.

• It had the most diving manufactures of any place in the world-- US Divers, Voit, Sea Tec, Inflatable systems, JBL, Mares, Spearfisherman, Mark V, Newport divers, Sea Quest, Del Mar, Sea Suits, Water Wear, Kettenhofen Wet suits, Sampson, Sea Pro, Riffe International, Alexander Spearguns, Mark VII spear guns and many more lessor known and now forgotten manufactures.

• Divers Cove/Pick Nic Cove was selected as the location for the world's first Competitive Spear fishing meet in 1950 and most every year to the early 1960s. Why isn't there a monument in Laguna Beach to this world renowned spearfishing event" FYI the winners are still alive, but not well.

• Divers Cove was NOT named as a result of recreational diving activity.

• Two world record fish were speared off Orange County's coast; the BSB & WSB. FYI one of the largest "opal eyes" --13 + pounds was speared off OC - it was under 15 pounds therefore Ralph Davis would not accept it as a World Record.

• Its waters did contain a variety of shell fish; Mussels, Oysters, Pismo Clams, Scallops, & Lobsters. The mussels, oysters and Pismo clams have totally disappeared from the OC waters.. Were did all they go?

• It has a train engine and its box cars, several airplanes, an ocean going barge and several WW 11 landing craft sunk off its coast.

• It has an underwater canyon; aka the Newport Canyon.

• It had and has the second recreational diving ordinance in California. Two of the divers who fought the "Battle of Laguna Beach" are still alive. That is a story for another time and place.

• It had one of the first California game reserves at Heisler Park, named after Glen Vedder, the architect and driving force behind the Laguna beach diving ordinance.

• It has a number of piers that are diveable and one that is now underwater but diveable. See the book "Great Piers of California" by Jean Fleming- 1984-who was an instructor at Orange Coast College.

• PADI's first office was in Orange County.

• In the genesis of diving instruction Orange County had more LA County Certified Underwater Instructors than LA County. Many were voted as the "Outstanding LA County Underwater Instructor of the year."

• Lyle Hoskins and sons of Newport Beach was the fist OC dive shop and one of the first dive shops in California. Following Hoskins was Laguna Divers supply, Underwater Sports of Laguna, Aquatic Center & Laguna Sea sports.

• Three OC residents were honored as "Fathers of Spearfishing" at the 2000 millennium Free diving party. (Ron Merker, Allan Wood and Sam Miller,111)

• Herb Samson was the pioneer diver of Orange County. He held the BSB record for a short time in 1950s. He developed underwater movie camera housings for Hollywood in the 1930s & 1940s. He also designed and developed the famous bullet proof Samson 16 MM sport camera housing and the 35 MM professional housing . Three Samson cameras were made with the very first Spear gun mounts in 1956-only one remains.

• He developed and marketed the famous Samson World Record Spear gun and the Samson 38 calibre power head in the early 1950s.

• The Samson gun was acquired by the Aquatic Center in Newport Beach (Ron Merker) who sold it to Sea Tec in Corona (Harry Ruscigno) where it drifted into obscurity and is now a collectors item. Govern controls caused the demise of the Samson power head in the early 1960s--It is now a much sought after collectors item.

• Arthur "Bud or Brownie" Brown invented the world famous Duck Feet fins and equally famous Wide View mask which were produced in his Laguna Beach factory. His assets were acquired by Pacific Molded Products (Ken Norris) who sold them to Voit (Willard Voit) of Newport beach.

• Joe Lamnica established Newport divers, Delmar wet suits and JBL. He made his first spear gun in 1948 as a school project. He developed the JBL gun for Voit in 1967, who was acquired by Mares who in turn re sold the gun back to Joe. Sadly Joe passed away a few years ago. JBL is now owned by Mr, Guy Skinner who is manufacturing a much improved JBL near San Diego.

• Joe was the first to make a gold plated spear gun in 1981 to commemorate his 25 years in the diving business. Only 81 guns were produced and ceremoniously presented to spear fishing notables. See Discover diving, June 1994, The way it was "The man with the golden gun." ( I have gun # 007 & #20 a return)

• Bill Barada also lived in Orange County. He invented the first "Dry Suit", aka "Aqula" the Hammerhead muzzle and the pile driver aka pull out point. At an early age he modified a CO2 fire extinguisher to make a spear gun which became the standard of the spear fishing world in the 1940s & 1950s (See Discover Diving Jan 1993, The way it was "The magnificent Gas gun") He also was the author of about a dozen books on diving including "Spear fishing where and how?" which was printed by Voit for their new Voit (JBL) gun.

• Mort Toggweiller owner of the "Maray" from 1950 to 1960, world's first charter boat dedicated solely to diving. The world's first dive boat deck hand was a teenage Ron Merker. Mort photographed Ron and his then girl friend Carol Schunt, now Carol Merker to produce one of the fist commercial diving instructional films. Sorry I have forgotten its title.

• Mort created "Dive Rite" a company devoted to supplying components for underwater camera housings in 1956, wrote a small "book" (72 pages) "How to build your own UNDERWATER camera housings" in 1958. As a closing act in 1960 developed one of the first one man sport submarines the "Submaray" which was used extensively along the California coast by the emerging off-shore oil industry. Mort is alive and well in an extended care home.

• Underwater signaling was developed by Bob Ruethford "Sea Sabres Signaling System" and Discover diving The way it was, January 1992 "Sea Sabres Signaling System") - Also check out the Samson spear gun.

• Bob also was president of the Sea Sabres which at that time was the largest dive club in the US and possibly the world. He developed and promoted the Underwater Christmas party which was photographed and appeared on national TV. He was a contributor to the development of Para Scuba which is now in common usage by the military. He was active in the LACD (aka GLACD) and was the organization's third president.

• He along with Joe McCabe established the Aquatic Center on the NW corner of Brookhurst and Cerritos in Bob's garage, which was later moved to Newport Beach and sold to Mr. Al Wood & Ron Merker.

This was the Orange County I knew, loved and dove for over 50 years. It has disappeared forever but remembered by a few who were privileged participants of a by gone era.

Archive Library

Visit the Archive of Sam Miller Vintage Articles

© 2010 Dr. Sam Miller
All Rights Reserved.

Thank you for your interest in Dr. Sam Miller's History
of SCUBA diving. The text in this article is the sole property of Dr. Sam Miller, he is the exclusive author. Portage Quarry has presented it in its entirety with no editorial review. They are copyrighted and cannot be used in any way without the written permission of Dr. Sam Miller. If you would like a copy of this article please contact the webmaster.

Brad's story to me was about how his wife Marge sewed one up for him out of some war surplus rolls of neoprene sheeting he had. The most interesting aspect is that he never patented the wetsuit. Big mistake! That is hardly capitalizing on his idea!

Isn't "serendipitously discovered" a tautology?
I call it an invention, you call it a discovery. It did not exist before, so it is an invention. If it had already existed, but was not known about, it would have been a discovery.
I think the first wet suits were glued, not sewn. My first suit, in about 1959 or 1960, was a White Stag wet suit, which was glued, without any nylon lining. That suit ripped several times, and I glued it up each time. The suit needed either corn starch or talc powder in order to get into it; I always used corn starch.

SeaRat

Last edited:

I spent a very early Saturday morning at Diver’s Cove in Laguna Beach

Dr. Sam Miller,111​

Funny, but I was just thinking about Diver's Cove the night before you posted this. I was considering driving 2 1/2 hours to get there around 4:30 am on a weekday hoping to get a parking space. Then I remembered that they outlawed "purging" of scuba tanks (opening the valve momentarily to get the dust out), outlawed diving if the surf is more than four feet (or something equally as ridiculous), and outlawed spearfishing. These are some of the reasons that you will find me in other threads discussing living in other countries. I was surprised fairly recently at what they now call Crystal Cove State Beach that the lifeguard did not attempt to stop me from entering the water when the surf was about eight feet.

I doubt that an official coarse could ever make it. It goes against too many of today’s main stream ideas. It would require giving up BCs, octos and learning lost skills like proper weighting and buddy breathing and most egregious of all, you must learn to service your own "life support equipment" even going so far as to use non OEM parts, we all know that is not safe.
While I was not around in the old days I have had the opportunity to learn from and to dive with some who were and to get to know a good many great divers who like keeping to old ways alive. The best thing that those of us who enjoy the old equipment and old ways can do is to dive with the best possible skills and to mentor any new diver who cares to learn the old ways and to be tolerant of the horses asses who think they know better than we do.....at least until we can cut their hoses with our big knives.....another lost skill we may should practice. :)

I always forget, Herman - do we cut the left hose or the right hose? - cuz I've watched some of those old Sea Hunt episodes and some old 007 movies and they sometimes do both. . . . seems prudent to just go ahead and cut both, just to be sure

On Sea Hunt they usually cut the left hose, as there is no emergence for the stunt man, as the air simply free flows past the mouthpiece. In Thunderball, they cut the right (inhalation) hose, which is the one that should be cut to disable the diver.

SeaRat

I always forget, Herman - do we cut the left hose or the right hose? ...

The funny part is that it is easier to grab both hoses and tear them off the regulator than bother cutting one with a knife. Admittedly less dramatic though.

They stopped tearing hoses during Navy harassment dives by the time I came along due to the cost, but I don't remember instructors using knives in the older films I saw.

[edit] Changed "videos" to "films"... not sure what I was thinking on that one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom