Old Garden - Rockport MA 06 June 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drip Dry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Earlier today my dive buddy and I made my (but not his) first two dives of the season at Old Garden Landing in Rockport, Massachusetts. Conditions for those that are interested:

First dive: 330 degree heading, 58 minutes, 25 foot maximum depth, 54 degrees F at depth, visibility clear for about 20 feet, hazy out to about 40 feet (which is great for local conditions). Many lobster, some good size, quite a few of which had eggs. Saw four good size flounder. Also saw the ramp that was washed away over the winter.

Second dive: 30 degree heading, 54 minutes, 40 foot maximum depth, 52 degrees F at depth, visibility clear for about 15 feet, hazy out to about 30 feet. Again many lobster, though I noticed more smaller ones than I did on the first dive, again quite a few with eggs. Several groups of schooling pollock.

There was an outgoing tide during both of the dives. There was a light wind from the south so the sea was almost flat at northeast facing Old Garden. The reef looked to be in good condition. For this time of year the water is less cold (can't say warm) than it has been in the past.

There is a new ramp at the end of the descending concrete walkway to the beach, the ramp is wider than the one which washed away, with sturdier railings. The washed away ramp is already covered in aquatic plants, will become a nice hiding place for critters (if it is left there).

Saw one other dive team of two while we were there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom