old horse collar bcds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your link is to a Dive Rite travel XT. Are you asking about that, or a horse collar? 2 very different animals.

This is a horsecollar. you put it over your head and there is a strap that goes around your back and between your legs.

Attachments

• horsecollar.jpg
    horsecollar.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
That's actually a modern wing even though VDH is selling it. You also need a backplate to mount it to. and then it functions like a conventional BC.
Here's the deluxe harness - Deluxe Harness | Dive Rite Typically you then bolt your tank(s) directly thru the plate using steel bands/bolts - this particular plate also needs an STA (Single tank adapter) afaik for single tank use. Obviously your gauges clip to a d-ring on the harness. The full rig minus tank is shown on the site you linked to in the third shot except that's their custom plate since it's clearanced for their vintage double hose regulator which you can also see in the photo.
Deluxe-Harness_BC1080_Front-View-600x600.jpg

Other options from DiveRite are here: Products | Dive Rite

Last edited:
Do you always have to bolt a new tank on it? What kind of tank would you need to buy and where could I find one? I was think horse collar B.C.D since all the old vintage videos I've seen where in them. How/Where would you hook up your console/guage and b.c inflator if you have a double hose?

The tank was not directly connected to the horsecollar BC. There was a separate molded "back pack/plate", usually made of plastic, to which the tank was attached using straps similar to those currently in use. On some models of horse collar, there was the option to attach a low-pressure inflation hose.

Horse Collars BCs in the old days did not connect to tanks. You had a separate tank plate/back that you attached the tank to. So you had the straps for the tank and with the horsecollar with waist and crotch strap. BC first, tank second. TK

These are all images from the Vintage Double Hose site. I do suggest you follow up on Bryan's reading recommendations to better understand vintage equipment and implementation that he listed for you there.

upload_2016-6-28_13-31-36.png

upload_2016-6-28_13-30-48.png

upload_2016-6-28_13-32-48.png

upload_2016-6-28_13-29-52.png

Last edited:
this seems like a ask mike nelson from seahunt question....i think you can find him on you tube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom