Old Oceanic Balance Piston First Stage - Could It Actually Be A Scubapro Mk5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zed255

New
Reaction score
Paris,Ontario, Canada (43Ž° 13' 0" N, 80Ž° 24' 0"
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been servicing regulators for a number of years now, working on lots of current / late model stuff, but occasionally seeing some older models too. I recently got a pretty old set of Oceanic regulators to service. The regulator looked eerily familiar to something else I had worked on but at the moment couldn't quite place it. Everything was branded Oceanic and noting they were a balanced piston design with a swivel I grabbed a PX-2 service kit (the only Oceanic balanced piston model I was aware of at the time) and set to work.

So, stripped and cleaned I realize the parts in the kit aren't quite the same as what came out, but I began to recognize it as being a doppelganger for a later generation Scubapro Mk5. There were a few subtle differences in the yoke assembly, looking like a typical Oceanic and not like a Scubapro, but otherwise this looks totally Scubapro. Can anyone confirm that Scubapro did in fact make a balanced piston first stage for Oceanic, or at least the bulk of it? What was Oceanic's model designation for this? If this is so, any idea if Oceanic would still have parts kits for this?

If it were mine I'd try the Mk5 kit, but I won't simply due to liability concerns. Any information welcomed.

IMG_1284.JPG

I've got one that looks like that. The MK5 I have is first generation but there sure seems to be a lot of similarities. I don't have any MK5 kits to try out on it.

So, after sending the photos to the Canadian distributor and them in turn having to verify with AUP directly, it is apparently not of alternate manufacture but OEM'd by AUP. Still VERY similar to the Scubapro Mk5, I suspect it is essentially a clone with minor alterations.

Apparently there was an update / upgrade on the HP end of these in the early to mid 1990's that was never performed, nor can it now be done as there are no more upgrade kits available. The service kit is available, but it apparently applies only to upgraded examples, meaning this is destined to be a paper weight.

Oddly, no one ever mentioned what the model designation was. Was it the first one and therefore did not have a name?

That is what is known as a "pre-95 balanced piston first stage". I have two of them. Do you have any specifics on the HP end upgrade? I've been diving mine for years with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom