Old valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought some 1960s cylinders the other day.

They came with valves that appear to be from the same era. This one has internal components that match a Thermo valve, including the copper crush washer. I'm unsure how the gauge piston is supposed to seal -- it looked like parts were missing when I disassembled it. I installed an O-ring that more or less fit but there's probably a washer between it and the spring that are missing. I don't think the valve has ever seen salt water as there isn't any corrosion. I replaced the blown burst disk (hmm....), cleaned everything, and put in some new O-rings. I don't intend to dive with this valve unless I can repair the piston with proper parts. That's an SPG port below the handwheel:

P1251065.JPG

So, do I have a valuable antique? A useful piece of dive kit? Or something for the scrap pile...?

The other one is simpler and just needs stem and bonnet seals:

P1251066.JPG

It too has an SPG port. Any advice on this one? Another candidate for the scrap pile?

Both are nice additional to an Equipment class, showing the evolution to today's valves.

The second valve is a US Divers (now Aqua Lung) valve. It is very easy to service and it is very reliable. It is just as good as any new valve.

The first valve is one of the very early Scubapro valves. The valve itself is very good. The gauge can sometimes develop a small leak if it is not serviced. I have a diagram of the later valves, but I believe the internal parts are the same.

The diagram has Scubapro specific part numbers, but it shouldn’t be hard to cross reference the O-ring size or you can just try to match it with one of a similar size.

There is a washer between the spring and the O-ring. It is actually referenced as a bushing.

Honestly, the cost of a valve (new or used) is so low that I would probably not bother trying to service the Scubapro valve, unless you like the style and find the gauge interesting.

The gauge was never accurate. It was just good enough to tell you if you have a full tank or a used tank. It was handy if you had a bunch of tank in a dive trip.

I got one of the ScubaPro gauge type valves working, but don't have it on a tank. I might put it on a tank just for grins if I was getting together with some vintage divers, as a novelty.

Bob

Avoid the SP valve with the little piston do hicky... Predated SPG's I think.. maybe made sense back then, now ... not really. I love those old solid handles on the old valves. Will never strip like a modern handle.

As to the SP valve, it all depends on what other gear you may dive. I have a similar Dacor valve with the HP port and find it very useful to add an SPG when using a doublehose with a short yoke like my Mistral. I'm pretty sure it will be a vintage era thread size but an adapter can be used to mate a modern hose. I also have a USD twin set valve that does the same thing (in my avatar photo).

Thanks for the replies.

After I get my cylinders back from hydro, I'll disassemble the SP valve again and see if there's a bushing that I missed. I was trying to reach into the area with a probe and there seemed to be ridges but nothing that would move. I'll try some penetrating oil and compressed air and see what I can find. I'm intrigued by old stuff and hate to throw it out.

Avoid the SP valve with the little piston do hicky... Predated SPG's I think.. maybe made sense back then, now ... not really. I love those old solid handles on the old valves. Will never strip like a modern handle.

I believe that valve does not predate SPGs because the HP port was added to valves in order to accommodate an SPG because, at the time, a lot of regs did not have an HP port. The ones I have do not have a port so I assume they were made earlier, as there would be no reason to to have the indicator valve after SPGs were standard on regs. Mine are labeled empty-1/2-full, rather than pressure.

I'm with you, love the metal valve handles.

Bob

Bob, I've seen lots of empty-1/2-full valves on eBay, but never one with pressure markings. The gauge port appears to be a now-standard SAE-ORB #4 (7/16" UNF). This is not a J-valve, but then again the piston gauge isn't visible to the diver while in use, so I'm not entirely sure how it was intended to be used.

You would use the indicator instead of the surface pressure gauge we normally used to see if the tank was full.

As I said, is a newer version since it has the newer 7/16" HP thread size, having pressure markings and the ability to use an SPG, if you had one and were using an old reg with out a HP port like my Nemrod Snark III Doublehose.

I do have j-valves including a j-valve manifold with the 3/8" HP thread. My newer and older j-valves and j-valve manifolds are without any HP connection.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom