Older steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Are older steel tanks worth the effort to hydro and vis?
I'm looking at a steel tank made in 81.

if they aren't rusty inside or pitted, they are prob ok.

you might not get the 'plus' rating on them with the hdyro. but that's not a huge deal. just 10%

it all depends on what the tank cost to buy. figure a hydro will run you $12 to $25 depending on location, visual will run you $5 to $10. plus initial air/gas fill. it might need tumbled if any rust is in it.

I love diving my old steel 72's. They were made in 1973. They are only rated 2250 psi but if you can get a good fill up to 2500-2600 they have almost as much gas as a AL 80.

That said, I wouldn't pay a whole lot for them.

I also changed out the old J valves for some more modern K valves that I found a good deal on. If that tank was made in 1981, it may already have a K valve.

I dove with a guy this past weekend that had steels. Oldest was from 59. Wasn't as pretty as the glossy red one I was using though.

I once heard that a properly maintained steel tank will last a hundred years. I have no way of knowing if that's true. I also know that I'm not sticking around to find out.

No way, you need to send em to me to be properly disposed of. Seriously steels as long as they pass hydro can outlive you. I have one from 53 and one from 55 along with another two from 73 and 74.

I once heard that a properly maintained steel tank will last a hundred years. I have no way of knowing if that's true. I also know that I'm not sticking around to find out.

It is true, I have seen them. Not a tank specifically for diving, but it is not that unusual to find commercial oxygen tanks over 100 years old and diving tanks over 55 years old. Remember scuba started 66 years ago so we haven't had a chance to see a 100 year old tank yet.

Here's two from 1943 dove them yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC00022.jpg
    DSC00022.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 106
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom