OM-D rig step by step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's sharper than the 9-18 and goes 20% wider, which is definitely an asset. However, it tends to do ugly purple flare with the OMD and as far as I know it requires a dedicated port. Port-wise I don't know actually, is there a single solution for the 7-14 AND the 14-42?

And the 7-14?

if I really wanted to offer what I believe is best, Step One would be the 12-50 with dedicated Nauti port/gear, and a strobe. This will cover probably 70% of everything you will shoot, with one lens and one port that you never have to change, and no diopters to carry during the dive, screw on and off, or use with an expensive flip adapter. It would be as "seamless" an operation as you could ever imagine and, really, I can't imagine you needing anything else for quite a long time.
From a purely rational perspective, I hear you. Problem is, when you mount the 12-50 the rig if simply butt ugly, killing a lot of the retro charm the OM-D has. Aesthetically, the 14-42 makes for much prettier combo. Don't disregard emotional reasons for gear choice :dork2:Also, with the 14-42 I can probably stuff the camera in my jacket pocket. I don't think that will be as easy with the long 12-50 mounted. If I'm going to use the OM-D instead of my D300 topside, "stuffability" becomes an important factor.

Oh, well. More options to consider. And me thinking I had reached a final conclusion... :coffee:

For the 9-18mm lens, I found that there are two ports available, the Zen Dome Port for 9-18 and the Nauticam Flat Port 56 for Olympus 14-42mm and Olympus 9-18mm lens with 67mm thread
According to the lens port chart I found on Nauticam International Ltd., the 4" semidome/wide angle port fits the 9-18 and the 14-42 while the flat port 56 fits the 14-42, but not the 9-18. Why would you want put a WA zoom behind a flat port and lose 25% of your FOV?

Yep. 4" wide angle port #36137. According to Nautiicam's port chart, it fits the Olympus 9-18, 14-42 II R and 12-50 and Panasonic 12-35 and 14-42 IOS MEGA.

I am taking off now to Curacao for some work, but also 4 days of diving. I will report back.

Storker, I will have photos with the 12-50 in the dedicated port including macro shots. By the way, the gear is so complex I am just dedicating that lens to UW photography. You can get a 14-42 for $100 or so for land use.

Burhan, I will have photos with the 7-14 behind the Nauticam dedicated dome.

I will also have shots with the Oly 60mm macro in the 12-50 port.

See you all in 10 days!

I am taking off now to Curacao for some work, but also 4 days of diving. I will report back.

Storker, I will have photos with the 12-50 in the dedicated port including macro shots. By the way, the gear is so complex I am just dedicating that lens to UW photography. You can get a 14-42 for $100 or so for land use.

Burhan, I will have photos with the 7-14 behind the Nauticam dedicated dome.

I will also have shots with the Oly 60mm macro in the 12-50 port.

See you all in 10 days!

Have a great trip and don't forget, pics and more pics!!!!

I think I need to go to Curacao for "work" real soon :D

*almost biting*
I didn't find any dedicated 12-50 port on the chart I downloaded from Nauticam, what's the part#?. It seems as if Nauticam could well have been a bit quicker updating their port charts...

BTW, have a nice trip & thanks again for your input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom