OM-D rig step by step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to see this camera being discussed here, and as a new owner of an EM5/Nauticam system, coming from someone who has shot Canon, and owned 2 Nikon DSLR underwater systems, I can tell you this setup is one of the most compact, advanced and customizeable rigs around, with a selection of great lenses.

For anyone truly interested in the OMD EM5, you might want to scoot over and take a look at the recent threads on Wetpixel. Discussions from truly knowledgeable UW photographers, regarding pros and cons of lenses, ports, etc. Here's a link of resources and references I put together that covers camera reviews, housings, lenses, ports, underwater settings etc

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48701

cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Storker, I just returned from Curacao. Photos to be posted tonight.

Now, with experience, I can tell you with absolute certainty that your "step one" should be the 12-50 lens with dedicated Nauti port and gear. There is just no describing the versatility of this combination and it will satisfy your needs for a long time to come with no additional purchases needed. The wide angle function is excellent and the macro is amazing. You might never need a dedicated macro lens and port in the future, and would only need to add ultra-wide if you feel strongly compelled to do so. It will be the most economical, and at the same time, the most versatile lens you could get despite the increase in up-front cost from the 14-42. I will say flat out, don't waste your funds on the 14-42, it just does not deliver anything close at all for underwater use.

Photos to come this evening!

Storker, I just returned from Curacao. Photos to be posted tonight.

Now, with experience, I can tell you with absolute certainty that your "step one" should be the 12-50 lens with dedicated Nauti port and gear. There is just no describing the versatility of this combination and it will satisfy your needs for a long time to come with no additional purchases needed. The wide angle function is excellent and the macro is amazing. You might never need a dedicated macro lens and port in the future, and would only need to add ultra-wide if you feel strongly compelled to do so. It will be the most economical, and at the same time, the most versatile lens you could get despite the increase in up-front cost from the 14-42. I will say flat out, don't waste your funds on the 14-42, it just does not deliver anything close at all for underwater use.

It is evening already here, where are the pics???? :)

Can't wait to see your work with this camera. Thank you in advance for sharing!!!!

Also, please let us know the details of your trip, where you stayed, where you dove, what you think of the accommodation and dive operation.

Now, with experience, I can tell you with absolute certainty that your "step one" should be the 12-50 lens with dedicated Nauti port and gear. There is just no describing the versatility of this combination and it will satisfy your needs for a long time to come with no additional purchases needed.

Thanks a lot for the update. I'm not going for the 14-42, that's decided. However, the price for the dedicated macro port and gear for the 12-50 made me go :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:!!!111!!!!, so I don't know if I'll have room for those in my initial budget. After reading on Wetpixel about Olympus' recent firmware upgrade and the effect on FL of choosing UW WA mode or UW macro mode, I'm considering getting the 12-50 and the 4" WA port first. That'll give me 12mm WA and 50mm semi-macro even without the zoom gear. The 4" WA port will fit a future 9-18, and I'll also have the option to upgrade the system with the dedicated 12-50 port and gear as I save up more money.

My budget limitations are noticeable, but fortunately they're more of the "how fast can I get the stuff that I want" type than the "how much at all can I spend" type :)

Link? :wink:

Last edited:
After reading on Wetpixel about Olympus' recent firmware upgrade and the effect on FL of choosing UW WA mode or UW macro mode,

Can you give the link for the article you reference please?

Can you give the link for the article you reference please?

Sure. Provided I don't violate any board rules by linking to another forum.

Wetpixel.com | Forums | Digital SLRs/Housings | Olympus OM-D E-M5 | Post #78
Phil Rudin:
Olympus today released a firmware update (v.1.2) for the E-M5 when used in underwater mode with the 12-50 power zoom lens. In the U/W wide angle mode the lens will auto zoom to 12mm and when placed in the U/W macro mode the lens zooms to 50mm. This will allow those using the lens without a gear to get to both ends of the zoom range.

Very sorry I could not post photos last night. Will post 4 photos tonite taken with the 12-50 to illustrate what is possible.

Storker, you cannot access any macro mode with the firmware update, only 12mm or 50mm by using camera buttons. The lens at 50mm is not semi-macro or anything even close. It is large subjects only like fish head portraits. With that in mind, I think we should look again at the step one option.

You propose the 4" dome as a less expensive step one because you can use the 12-50 in it. But, the cost is 450 for the dome. For that, you get only 12mm fixed, and 50mm fixed with a very, very inconvenient way of having to push camera buttons to access 12mm or 50mm. You have no macro capability at all in your initial system. So, you are in with a system of very limited usefulness and extreme inconvenience of use. You will be cursing many, many missed shots.

Remember, you are dropping 1350 on the housing, 200 on a tray. So, you are "all in" at 2000 for step one with the dome.

Consider the alternative. The 12-50 port/gear is 800 (350 more than the dome). For that you get an excellent general purpose zoom with semi-wide capability for photo and video. You get the full zoom range. You also get "true macro" mode, and instant switching between regular zoom and macro. I found this instant switching to be incredibly convenient in actual use and got many shots I never would have been able to get. In practical use, the 12-50 was on my camera for 70% of the dives I made in Curacao, especially when diving a new site where I did not know what to expect in terms of wide angle or macro.

For this versatility, you are "all in" at 2350. The difference by saving the money is one that you are going to regret every time you hit the water. it will be the difference between cursing your camera and loving it.

Now, consider your additional steps later on. If you already have the 12-50 port/gear, you have macro and general purpose covered. Going into ultra-wide will cost you an additional 600 for the dome port and 9-18 zoom gear. At that point you are done with your system. 2 ports, optimum performance with both lenses, no need for awkward accessories, very fast use.

If you started with the dome port, if you want to add zoom functionality to the 12-50, a zoom gear will cost 150.00. If you want to add macro functionality, you have to add a diopter (200), plus an adapter to mount the diopter on the dome port (200-250). So, you are spending an extra $600 or so just to add macro and zooming on the 12-50. Next, Because of the dome, no diopter on the 12-50 is going to be close enough to the front of the lens to really give you magnification to the true macro level, or good optical quality even with an expensive diopter. Plus, you have no instant switching from general purpose to macro, but instead the inconvenience of screwing the diopter on and off. Thus, you really do not end up with the convenience and functionality as the dedicated 12-50 system. Also, to add the 9-18, you have to spend another 150 for the zoom gear. So, all told, an additional 750. You start off paying less, but end up paying more at the back end, which brings the price savings down to 200 overall. However, your ending system will not be nearly as functional.

So, the issue really boils down to 2350 versus 2000 up front to end up with a much better overall system at the beginning, and a savings of only 200 in the end for a substantially inferior final system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom