OMS Wings/HP vs. Dive-Rite Wings/HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oharag

Reaction score
Okay, looking to purchase a hard plate with a standard harness (ie. no OMS iQ or Transpac II harness). Been listening to experienced divers with their recommendations. I would like to dive wrecks first, and then eventually caves. I want to buy equipment today that will grow with me.

There came up a discussion between OMS bungee wings verses non-bungee wings (ie. Dive-rite, Halycon) with my LDS. My LDS (which doesn't sell OMS) stated the OMS wings added to the drag on the diver. His reasoning is that the bungeed wing has peaks and valleys causing turbulent water flow, thus increasing drag. This is of course contrary to OMS's claims that a tucked in wing reduces drag. My brother dives OMS wings. It does seem to be logical to draw the wings in during minimal wing inflation, and then let the wings expand accordingly. My LDS did state that a hard plate is a hard plate.

Here are my questions:

1) Is there any difference between OMS's HP and Dive-Rite's HP? I believe OMS's HP has tank strap slots to mount a single if needed. It seems DR's new HP also added this feature recently.

2) Can OMS bungee Wing (I believe my brother has the 100 lb lift wing) accommodate single tanks? It would seem it could since it draws the wings inward, as opposed to other wings, which would flap around the tank causing more drag. DR does have wings to accommodate both (and they have adjusting cords to draw the wing inward to accommodate singles). I believe if you purchase the 100 lb. OMS wing you would have a more versatile wing as opposed to DR's Rec Wing with 50 lb lift.

3) Is there a need for 100 lb lift? I want to dive doubles some day. With a SS HP, double tanks, stage bottles, and possibly the need to drag an unconscious buddy off the bottom of the ocean I would believe more lift the better. MY LDS stated that 100 lb lift is overkill. I brought up the possibility of bringing an unconscious buddy off the bottom, and he stated that both divers should be diving dry suits (thus an alternative lift option). First, maybe my buddy is not diving dry, and second I've been taught by my instructor to never use a dry suit as a buoyancy control device. Besides it would seem too complicated to try to manipulate your BC, your dry suit, and your buddies dry suit as you ascend. And no I won't be using the 100 lb lift to try to pick up heavy objects. I'll use a lift bag for that purpose.

4) Is there a need for a dual bladder setup? It would seem logical that most technical/DIR divers would love the idea of dual bladders! Yet, I've heard they dislike the concept. My brother talked to a gentleman that had his single bladder rupture at the bottom of the ocean. He was lucky enough to find the descend/ascend line, and he managed to pull him self up to the surface. What's so wrong with dual bladders? Isn't redundancy the name of the game with scuba? Dual regs, buddy system, back up pressure gauge if you have AI computer, etc...

5) Is there a problem with oral inflation of a bungeed wing? My LDS stated that an air embolism is more prevalent when trying to orally inflate a bungeed wing the bungees push back on the lungs. Somehow this causes an air embolism. Is this BS?

6) Does having the bungees help in adjusting trim? My brother states you can loosen or tighten the bungees to level your body during diving.

7) What do you guys/gals think of a single piece of web harness? Again DIR guys say this is the only way to go. The easy release buckles on some of the harnesses could break according to my LDS. Single piece webbing is stronger with no weak links.

oharag

There has been a lot of posts on these issues. You may want to do a search for "bundied wing" or BWOD.

In general BPs with a continuous harness work well and are cheap and easy to setup. 100lb wings are really big. You'll probably want a single tank wing if you are diving a single tank.

Short answers:
1) Not really
2) Yes, but you probably don't want to. I used to have a DR 45 for singles and it was too big.
3) Yes, but you probably don't need the extra lift
4) Probably not, hard to say. Won't hurt either way
5) Not that I have heard of. No google hits, for instance
6) Maybe, there are better ways of adjusting trim.
7) I use one.

Peter

and with doubles, its more than enough, even in rough water if used as a "raft."

100 sounds like just plain too much.

Sorry, didn't know this was a heated discussion.

I'll read everyone's post to further glean the truth. Obviously ignoring all the back and forth b’ing of course. Though it's going to be tough separating the BS from the truth :D

oharag

Unless you need to float a small tugboat up off the bottom, the 100# wing is nuts....

If there was a real need for a wing that big...., then the other wing makers would have one in their product lines...They Don't ... A 70 to 75# wing handles the biggest steel doubles and 3 Al 80's easily..there's no practical need for more..it's just hype to sucker in the newbie/wannabe ...

Using the same wing for singles and doubles is not the optimal, or recommended way to go...(although wings in the 45 to 55# range have been used by many for singles and light to medium doubles).....It's still preferable to have 2 wings..27 to 45# for singles and 45# and up for doubles...Whether you dive wet or dry, warm or cold, aluminum or steel, and how much weight you need are what determine your bouyancy needs..... those are just guideline ranges

There's an ongoing argument about bungee versus non-bungee wings...it will Never End....the objective reality is likely somewhere between the two polemic points of view...It comes down to doing your homework and choosing for yourself...

As for redundant bladders... Their purpose is to afford the wetsuit diver an effective "loss of bouyancy" risk management ability equall to the drysuit of the dry diver...They seem to accomplish this. There's a great thread on this currently in "bouyancy devices" on the Deco Stop board...Follow it and decide for yourself...

OMS has been quite flakey lately for customer service and response..not to mention vaporware....They make nothing that stands apart (in a good way) from other makes....There are better folks to buy from ...

Most BP's can be used with singles with only cam bands,...but a lot of folks prefer to use the Single Tank Adapters (STA's) with their BP's... Generally Speaking, a BP is a BP..although each maker tries to have some points that make his BP "the best", ... they tend to be on the subtle side.

Now let's look at your list:

1) Nah.....not effectively

2) Nah.....certainly Not practically

3) Nah.....or there'd be several to choose from

4) Depends...on your exposure protection and personal choice

5) BS.....Try one with the retraction both on and off ...only slightly different...and still easier than inflating balloons for a kids B'day party

6) Possibly on the OMS ..... their bungee system is different than DR..... BUT, there are so many other techniques to effect proper trim, that it's irrelevant

7) Only if you bash them with a tank..... against a hard surface...

I've never seen anyone here say they had/saw a spontaneous failure in a quick connect buckle.

I like the small cross strap at the upper chest (like the Deluxe or Trans harnesses have) but my torso is shaped a lot different than yours...point being: This is an individual assessment based on your confort and feeling in control of the rig. Don't let some one else tell you what's comfortable for you.

Good luck, hope this gives you some food for thought,

Darlene

very informative and helpful post. That's what I would hope to receive on this forum. Thanks again.

Yes, I'm a newbie. Just trying to sort out the BS from the chaff :D I never realized that Scuba is a religion. One to be defended through put downs and trite comments :rolleyes:

You are right about trying the stuff out myself. As I mentioned my brother dives OMS wings with HP. I believe I can bum a Dive-Rite Wing/HP off my teacher. Still will not make the decision for me though. Too many variables/different circumstances. I suppose the fact that both provide lift/buoyancy when needed is enough for me. Just wanted some clarification on the questions I asked above to hopefully cement my decision. Sure, I'm interested in diving safe and efficient. Just a little confused on what that means when it comes to bungeed vs non.

Thanks again for the post.

oharag

Back
Top Bottom