One of the few REAL new technology advances in Fins.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a review by Eric Fattah, the Founder of Liquivision

Gear Review: The DOL-Fin Orca | DeeperBlue.com

Thanks for Eric's review.....And one thing I am certain of, is that if he had taken a couple of days of use, before doing the efficiency tests ( how many kicks for the bi-fins, how many in the same distance for the Dol-Fin), the results would have been even more amazing.

The thing here is that while I did not find it hard to be able to propel myself underwater with the Dol-Fin system in the first 30 minutes we were using them at the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park ( prior to going out in the Ocean on a boat), I saw that the technique required to make this thing push me forward, had VERY LITTLE in common with fin kicking coordination.....there was no similarity in kick shape, or what muscle fires first, 2nd, and so one, or even of the main muscles used--there is so much that is different, in the first 3 to 5 minutes, you feel a little like a person that just put on their first pair of snow skiis, and you are about to try some snow plow turns, or some cristies into the hill....It's all new....there is alot of getting it partially right, and needing to perfect portions of each aspect of the process.

After an hour, I was using the Dol-Fin system at the level of someone ready to get off the bunny slope, and maybe get on some intermediate hills....there is no crashing or falling, but you are not moving with the same grace and ease you can see Ron Smith moving around...you know there is a lot of tweaking left to do.....the Freediver that was with us from Jupiter, Ryan, had the same issues.....you want to ben your knees too much, you try to do plenty of things you expect to be right, that are NOT right....and Ron would keep swimming over and suggesting the change--it would immediately become apparent he was right, and then as you got this occasionally perfect, you would need to work on doing this all the time. So I did 4 hours the first day at the BHB, with miles of swimming..back and forth all over the West end for 2 hours, then a swim all the way down to the far east end, and some play in high current in the bridge pillars under the low East bridge span, where a 3 mph current was rushing under the bridge, and we would hide from current oriented behind a bridge piling--resting, pointing into the direction of flow--then move sideways 20 feet to the next row of pilings, and hide behind the next one...kind of like repelling across a wall. Exactly how kayaks work a river section where they hide behind big boulders and the eddies behind them, and go across river, and even upstream with this technique.... And we found we could do this in identical fashion. It was huge fun, as well.
My core muscles were a bit fatigued from all this that day, but not so much my legs...maybe calf muscles a bit too...
Next day on the boat, I used the Big DiveR freedive fins for the first dive to shoot Ron and Ryan, then used a Dol-Fin for the hour long surface interval, freediving to 60 feet over breakers in shore ledge as easily as if I was on a 25 foot deep reef...so easy I used much longer bottom cruises along the breakers reef than I have ever done before, because it was so easy to get back to the surface, without effort or concern....My skill level exploded durring this hour freedive...and that is the time I would have wanted to test in pool...kick..kick glide...distance as in the review.

I did use the Dol-Fin for shooting the video on the 2nd boat dive--after the SI.....While the coordination with a tank on your back is unchanged, the huge drag and mass of my big camera system ( canon 5 D mark II in Aquatica, with big Halcyon Apollo Video lights) was so great that it interupted the flow and the hydrodynamics the wing system relies on, and I found much of the precision and easy directional control was lacking....I could still deliver power and speed--you can see where I followed a nurse shark at a speed well above most scuba fin potential....but tracking in a direction at lower speeds was really messed up by my big camera....Ron uses 2 go pros on either side of a cool wing--held superman style in front of him....and this is so aero ( hydro) it causes no increase of drag to slow him noticably, and the wing in front adds to stability of the camera and diver--even more spectacularly for the freediver shooting video....
Take away here, is that for important video shooting with monster cameras, there is no substitute for the big DiveR fins for reefs...or the Extra Force Fins for wreck penetration. :)
For go pro type shooting, for sight-seeing, even for hunting, the Dol-Fin is a hot ticket you would want to try. When Ron knows when he is coming back to West Palm ( spring/summer 2013), I will post about this, and a bunch of you should visit then--and I'll get Ron to do a demo day with lots of time for probably up to 8 or 9 people.

Last edited:
He came by the HOG booth and we had a nice chat about the fin. Looks interesting and really cool for open water diving. We did discuss my wreck diving interests and agreed that it likely is not a good choice for squeezing in holes. But nice guy and I would like to try it.

Hi Dan:

How would you compare these to traditional mono-fins? The rave in freediving now is carbon fiber. I have a pair of carbon fiber fins and they humble my previous plastic or fiberglass fins. What does this provide that the previous mono-fins failed to deliver?

O.

[video]http://content.bitsontherun.com/previews/Snp3jfQ3-C3PNGnB0[/video]

I used these last weekend....I was amazed for freediving, and they were great for scuba--but not with my huge housed camera and lights-----the video solution for them is a go pro on each end of a wing, held in front of the diver while swimming--like a steady cam.

While you can swim alot faster with this wing fin than possible with traditional scuba fins, the real benefit is lack of effort or heart rate to go normal speeds...the ability to kick and glide for 20 feet like a dolphin....See the scuba diver doing this!!!

{ here is the link in a web page if you don't like the weird JWPlayer link...
Dol-fins in Palm Beach )

Very cool; would love to test one out sometime! I would like to think that as the product develops and (hopefully) becomes more popular, the price point might come down a little.

Hi Dan:

How would you compare these to traditional mono-fins? The rave in freediving now is carbon fiber. I have a pair of carbon fiber fins and they humble my previous plastic or fiberglass fins. What does this provide that the previous mono-fins failed to deliver?

O.

Mono fins require your upper body to be part of the big "sine wave" your body describes, in the motion required to propel yourself.....this pretty much eliminates the traditional monofin from being good with scuba...the tank on your back does not really assist this process--it degrades it... The Dol-Fin motion is much more from the waiste to the toes....Also, I think the ability of the Dol-fin to be precise and optimal at barely moving slow speed, and then just as optimal at all speed sup to full speed( that you can generate), is a clear difference. I agree with you that the carbon fiber fins have much more snap back and extra thrust than plastic fins....here the difference of what is pushing you is quite different also....instead of the big mono fin....the way you control this relatively small surfaced air plane wing...is very different, and it seems what is going on here, is that it generates a great deal of lift and vectored thrust, with almost no wasted or dead space ( as in the much larger surface area and drag of traditional fins or monofins....

But really, you need to show up the next time Ron becomes available, and experience this for your self....and bring a mono fin also for A..B comparison :)

Does he ever make it out to the west coast?

Does he ever make it out to the west coast?

He lives in Az I believe.....email him from his website, and see if he would doing any demos for large local dive groups/freedive clubs....That is essentially what I did for Palm Beach.

Danvolker, do you know of anyone that has purchased one personally? Can they comment on their thoughts, reason for purchase, and what application they use it for? I was on a boat this weekend in 3 to 4ft seas, and many recreational divers have a hard time putting their feet on the ladder. Imagine having feet banded and trying to balance. What are your thoughts regarding ease of entry and exit?

yes sir/ma'am, I'm Tapatalking you.

Danvolker, do you know of anyone that has purchased one personally? Can they comment on their thoughts, reason for purchase, and what application they use it for? I was on a boat this weekend in 3 to 4ft seas, and many recreational divers have a hard time putting their feet on the ladder. Imagine having feet banded and trying to balance. What are your thoughts regarding ease of entry and exit?

yes sir/ma'am, I'm Tapatalking you.
I will get some answers on the questions about purchasers so far......As for getting back on the boat....when we went out, seas were 2 to 3, which is small...but not really relevant to the question...the technique you use is to swim to the boat as if you had any normal fins on, grab the ladder or platform, and then reach down and pull off the velcro on one bike shoe--your foot instantly pops out ( way easier than getting out of fins--see Shimano Bike shoes with strapes). And then , still holding on, you undo the straps on the other, pull the shoe off by holding the wing, and you hand this up to the boat crew--it is lighter than my free dive fins.....if there was no crew, you could just place it on the platform.

Getting into the water would be best if you could do a backward roll...but easy as heck to just jump in with one foot in...then slip the other foot in once in the water......and if you want, you can swim with one foot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom