Open Water Hoosier Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

golfingguy1212

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Morning SB,

I'm looking for a NE Indiana dive buddy. Currently I only carry a OW cert card with 25 dives under my belt since 1996 when I was certified.
A month ago I signed up with SSI to strengthen my underwater Nav skills and to get experienced with Deep Dive training. Those skills will be put to the test at the end of July over at Gilboa, so in the mean time I'm looking to practice practice practice.

I learned to dive in 2003 when I lived in Fort Wayne. Started a small dive shop there in 2008 or so, before moving back south. When I started, I would go over to Gilboa and just ask people if I could tag along. Of all the times I did this, I only got turned down one time. Same with White Star. I would guess I had over 500 dives in Gilboa. Not sure what dive shops are there anymore, but we would just hang out talk diving and make friends and buddies.. We would go over to Shriner Lake (or other lakes) every Wednesday evening and dive. There are a couple of old trash piles in Shriner where we would fines old bottles and other items. Some great diving out of Chicago and Grand Haven. Just get in the car head over to Gilboa or White Star and start making friends.

I learned to dive in 2003 when I lived in Fort Wayne. Started a small dive shop there in 2008 or so, before moving back south. When I started, I would go over to Gilboa and just ask people if I could tag along. Of all the times I did this, I only got turned down one time. Same with White Star. I would guess I had over 500 dives in Gilboa. Not sure what dive shops are there anymore, but we would just hang out talk diving and make friends and buddies.. We would go over to Shriner Lake (or other lakes) every Wednesday evening and dive. There are a couple of old trash piles in Shriner where we would fines old bottles and other items. Some great diving out of Chicago and Grand Haven. Just get in the car head over to Gilboa or White Star and start making friends.
I just drove over to Gilboa last Thursday and spent a hour walking the site since I hadn't been there since 1996. At my level I'm tempted to just walk in from shore or just use the first dock left of the swimming area.
When I was there it looked like quite a few divers were using rebreathers.
But I'm looking forward to using the quarry more often and meeting new dive buddies

Just got back from my day at Gilboa!!! The dive community is just wow.
I came to Gilboa today with family in tow. The swim area was perfect for 2 girls and their mom to swim and read, while I was lucky enough to find a dive buddy on-site in 30 mins (who was at my dive level) and the pros that were doing pro drills they never sighed because a low tier diver was complimenting and asking about their gear.
Dang what a experience for dives 27 and 28

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom