OrcaTorch Double D710V Combo Kit Review (not sponsored or affiliated, my own pennies)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't need the red and UV capabilities of the D710V, so I ordered the OrcaTorch D530V. I am not happy with the sloppy fit between the ball joint bracket and the body of the D530V. There is a 4mm gap, and as a result the light wiggles around too much in the bracket, even if the set-screw is tight. After some research, I learned that the bracket fits lights from 23mm to 27mm. The D530V has a 25.5mm body. The D710V has a 27mm body. The bracket has an inside diameter of about 29mm. This explains why the D710V fits better than the D530V. I also wish the bracket was closer to the lens, which would make it easier to keep the front of the light behind the front of the camera/GoPro. I'm sending this one back.

View attachment 840048

Couldn't you 3D print a spacer?

I like PLA+ or even PETG for underwater stuff. 85% infill. The PETG doesn't warp in the sun (or hot car) like PLA does, but either works just fine, especially for something like this.

If for some reason you do send it back and are still interested in Orcatorch lights, let me know. I can save you at least 20%

I like PLA+ or even PETG for underwater stuff. 85% infill. The PETG doesn't warp in the sun (or hot car) like PLA does, but either works just fine, especially for something like this.

If for some reason you do send it back and are still interested in Orcatorch lights, let me know. I can save you at least 20%
My friend printed me a prototype out of PETG. It works great and takes out most of the wiggle/slop in the fit. So thanks again for the suggestion.

This particular 530V is going back regardless - I ordered a white light, but inside the box I got a UV light instead. I'll PM you about your offer if I decide to stay with OrcaTorch.

My friend printed me a prototype out of PETG. It works great and takes out most of the wiggle/slop in the fit. So thanks again for the suggestion.

This particular 530V is going back regardless - I ordered a white light, but inside the box I got a UV light instead. I'll PM you about your offer if I decide to stay with OrcaTorch.
Half way there at least

Does seem odd from a manufacturing standpoint that Orca would use different sized barrels for a torch that in all intense and purposes are so similar. Could have kept the barrel diameter allowing for the same accessories to be used which is a huge cost saving manufacturing wise. keep the diameter and cut the barrel length if its meant to be a smaller torch, electronics could just as easily be rejigged.

Does seem odd from a manufacturing standpoint that Orca would use different sized barrels for a torch that in all intense and purposes are so similar. Could have kept the barrel diameter allowing for the same accessories to be used which is a huge cost saving manufacturing wise. keep the diameter and cut the barrel length if its meant to be a smaller torch, electronics could just as easily be rejigged.
Agree. And instead of making a ball mount clamp for each torch, they make a "one size fits all" that reminds me of the scene in "BIG" where Tom Hanks becomes young but he's still wearing his adult suit.

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 6.19.35 AM.png

Different barrels for different batteries, the 530 uses an 18650 and the 710 uses the 21700. Even if you don’t need the red or UV the D710v is a better light with a better battery.
Had someone order 2 of these recently.. I was really impressed. Never tried them underwater but he sent me some cool video done with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom