OTS Guardian Cold Water Performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattPSI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning to start using my OTS Guardian FFM in cold fresh water soon. I'm guessing temp could be near 38 F at times. Anyone have expience with free flows in cold water caused by the second stage on the Guardian? Just trying to get a feeI for the odds of failure of my second stage, and thus the need to bail out of the mask in frigid water. I have a Scubapro MK17 first stage and a pony with gas switch block. So my preferred failure mode would be the first stage, in which case I could easily switch to my redundant gas supply and first stage.

Hey Matt, I can say from personal experience and also the experience of quite a few divers who come in and out of the shop that the Guardian performs well in cooler water. In fact, for many it's their go to when the mercury drops at their favorite dive site. I know that I enjoy not getting the typical "ice cream" headache that comes along with diving a traditional half mask and bite regulator.

If you have any other questions regarding the performance of the Guardian just hit me up on here or on the live chat on our site most evenings during the week. I'd be glad to talk with you more.

We use the Guardian with the Mk17 in the mountain lakes here in MT. None of us have had any issues. The majority of us prefer the mask when ice diving. It is nice to have a warm face in 33-34 degree water.

Thanks to everybody for the info! It is reassuring. The Guardian certainly seems like a system designed for use in harsh environments, but I didn't want to make uninformed assumptions about it.

I have had a bunch of fogging issues in cold water. I have 6 masks and all fog in cold water, even when new. I just had them serviced over the winter and they all still fog. Just a heads up.

I have had a bunch of fogging issues in cold water. I have 6 masks and all fog in cold water, even when new. I just had them serviced over the winter and they all still fog. Just a heads up.
Wow, that is surprising. Just to be clear, you have six OTS Guardian masks with fogging issues? I have been in water in the 50 to 60 degree range without fogging.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom