Out of towner looking for dive op in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgilkes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everybody,

Newly certified (PADI OW, Nitrox) with only a handful of dives and already addicted and trying to dive any chance I can get. I am going to be flying into Los Angeles for a wedding next Saturday and leaving Monday. I'd like to get in at least one dive while I'm out there. Can anyone recommend shops/charters for me to check out?

I'm a little pressed for time before the wedding so I have to find somewhere that can either do afternoon dives Saturday or early morning dives Sunday (before 2:30PM).

Thanks in advance for any help!! :cheers:

Where in LA will you be? Boats in LA usually go out for the entire day (3 tank dives). That pretty much limits you to beach diving. There's a group that dives off Terranea Resort (Old Marine Land) off Palos Verdes Peninsula Sunday mornings at 8AM, There are groups that dive Saturday morning in Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach early (afternoon is an issue due to parking by beach-goers unless the weather is really lousy). Sometimes Sunday's as well. Frequently you can just show up and hook with someone. Night dives are also popular in Redondo, though it sounds like your schedule won't allow that.

Where in LA will you be?
I'm staying in West Hollywood.

I'm planning on just taking the ferry over to Catalina and going to the dive park there. I'm probably paying a little more than diving off one of the beaches you mentioned, but this way I know I can fit it into the tight window I have.

You can rent all the gear you'll need over here. Bottom temps have dropped significantly in the past few days. I had 53° F at 99 fsw two days ago. Kelp is making a comeback and you have a good chance to see our amazing giant sea bass right in the park

You can rent all the gear you'll need over here. Bottom temps have dropped significantly in the past few days. I had 53° F at 99 fsw two days ago. Kelp is making a comeback and you have a good chance to see our amazing giant sea bass right in the park
Awesome. Looking forward to it! I have a 5mm wetsuit I was planning on bringing. Do you think that will keep me warm enough?

A dive trip to Catalina Island is an all day commitment. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with just Saturday afternoon, and/or Sunday morning to dive. Lee is right... your time constraints will limit you to a beach dive.

Most of us dive 7mm or drysuits. Last week the water temps were in the mid to lower fifties at depth.

A dive trip to Catalina Island is an all day commitment.
I booked a 6AM ticket on the Catalina Express (expecting to arrive between 7-730AM) and am scheduled for a guided dive from 8-10AM. My return ferry ticket is for 12:25PM. Not a lot of room for error, but I'm going to try and make it work and not waste the opportunity.

Most of us dive 7mm or drysuits.
Thanks for the heads up. I may just rent a 7mm out there.

Well, the Dive Park is a better dive experience than most of the local beach sites. In addition, because it's on the east side of the island you won't have to deal with surf entry and exits. Smart to be going with a guide. Have a safe trip and a great dive. Come back to LA when you have more time. There's lot's of diving to do here.

Nays.

If you are a newer certified diver from Florida, recognize that you will need significantly more weight/lead to get you down with that very buoyant 7mm wetsuit and tank type also plays a factor. Hopefully your guide will help you sort that out. If temps are in the 50's, a hood and gloves are also recommended. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom