OW to AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, just interested in what instructors or others see in their own classes. My guess is most divers stay at the OW level but I could be wrong.
When I got certified many years ago I couldn't wait to get my AOW along with some specialty certifications.

There's a figure floating around out there that 15% of the new certs are technical certs, which generally have AOW as a prerequisite. Then again typically people who have technical certs have more than one, so it's hard to draw many conclusions.

It probably varies shop to shop. The shop I dive out of runs one AOW class a month, at 3 to 4 people, and 10 ish in OW every weekend.

Which agency? Which country? Which region in country? Which shop/instructor?

You're asking for specifics and giving none.
Padi due them being the largest and certifications earned in the US.
I understand this mostly quests work but just interested on how many new divers go on to AOW and beyond.

No, just interested in what instructors or others see in their own classes. My guess is most divers stay at the OW level but I could be wrong.
When I got certified many years ago I couldn't wait to get my AOW along with some specialty certifications.

I saw some world-wide stats from PADI once but I don't remember well enough what was in them to give you a number. The impression that stuck in my head was, "surprisingly few".

At the place where I work the majority of divers we get seem to fall into two categories:
- Ones that take lessons because they are going on vacation and want to dive (the majority)
and
- Ones who decided to take up diving locally (the minority)

If people become active local divers they almost all take AOW within a year or so after their initial training and the majority of those take Rescue as well.

If they're doing it for vacation diving then a lot of them don't bother with AOW unless they want to dive deeper and if they do take it then they usually do it while on vacation. The impression I have about vacation divers is that they seldom if ever dive locally after their initial training so we normally only see them when they take a refresher before going on vacation.

R..

Thank you Diver0001, that makes sense and think only a minority of new divers go any further than OW.

Being an older person yet a newbie, I have every intention of taking more advanced courses once I get certified OW. I have a whole list of specialty courses I want to take right after certification: photography, navigation, diver stress and rescue, react right, nitrox, perfect buoyancy, deep diving, etc. I feel the more I know the better a diver I will be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom