Owning your own Oxygen Analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I booked a weeks worth of dives with an outfit in Cozumel, including nitrox. I met them on the boat, they gave me the tanks. When I asked about analyzing, they said "We trust the shop we get them from, 20 years no problems"... decided it was probably better if I had my own analyzer.

Does it come with a case like the Expedition one does? There isn't much info on the web page. I can soldier and put things together that have instructions, but I wasn't wanting to end up with some hacky thing with exposed parts if I'm going to take it on a liveaboard.
Holy Necrothread! (For the reference I love adding to good threads like this, rather than starting new ones.... kudos!)

I just built an ElCheapo. It's a fun project, but a couple of gotchas. I went this way specifically because I need a remote sensor for my new Nitrox stick. I'm not intending to travel with it.

#1 - the meter they supply now has changed slightly. The resistor is still named the same (R3 I think) but it's in a different place, and it even tinier. Be careful unsoldering it - I think I snipped it in half to make it easier (just dont' pull the pads off the PCB. Had to experiment a little to get the right decimal-point jumper points. There's additional jumpers not mentioned in the instructions that you have to set for the range (200mv) and supply voltage (9v)

#2 - hard part is cutting the square holes in the panel neatly. If I do another one I'll probably order a round-hole on/off switch just to avoid cutting that little bastard again. Still have to cut the meter hole (rectangle) but at least it's large enough to use bigger tools. Files are handy...

#3 - it's not designed to be waterproof. If you're taking it on a boat, find a little pelican case/dry-box that will fit everything (meter, sensor, sensor tee, cable). Since it's a kit you could get real fancy and build it into a drybox if you wanted. At that point you might as well just order the parts and completely DIY though. The panel meters are cheap, and the rest of it (other than the sensor) is standard stuff. The 1/8" jack that connects to the sensor is effectively a thru-hole into the inside of the enclosure.

#4 I did opt for the 10-turn potentiometer though, and think it's worth it to make calibration more precise.

#5 - at the end of the day it *is* a lot of parts, relatively speaking, to be dealing with on an active dive deck. You're talking about the meter box, a cable, the sensor, and probably the flow-diverter and sensor-tee to make reading off of tanks easier. None of that is permanently attached to anything else, and it's probably a 2-handed operation at best. If I was going to travel with a meter and use on a boat, I'd get a pre-fab unit with as few moving parts as possible. Even if you're OK with it, inevitably you're going to end up loaning it to someone at some point. Last thing I want is to have an $80 sensor sliding across a wet deck.

Another thread from the dead. 13 years. Not the oldest to be woken up, but one of the older ones.

As for the "we trust the shop" comment. I am not part of that we.

Does it come with a case like the Expedition one does? There isn't much info on the web page. I can soldier and put things together that have instructions, but I wasn't wanting to end up with some hacky thing with exposed parts if I'm going to take it on a liveaboard.
Yes, it does. Mine actually came with two cases. There is an electronics case that houses the actual electronics, and a larger Pelican style case to hold everything together. The instructions above are pretty good, so I won't add too much to them. Just some recommendations.

I found that the instructions were clear enough. Resistor is pretty small, so fine tip soldering irons would help. Two makes the job loads easier. The instructions that came with mine did include the information on the jumpers. I originally forgot the jumpers and had no decimal point. Simple enough to rectify.

I wasn't a big fan of the PVC T that you attach the sensor. Mainly from a noise perspective. Analyzing tanks with the T is just loud. I added a nozzle, tubing, and BC connector. Oxycheq sells this in part and as a kit. The connector attaches to the low pressure inflator quick connect, so you analyze with the regulator attached to the tank. Much better.

I booked a weeks worth of dives with an outfit in Cozumel, including nitrox. I met them on the boat, they gave me the tanks. When I asked about analyzing, they said "We trust the shop we get them from, 20 years no problems"... decided it was probably better if I had my own analyzer.
Yeah, definitely better to have your own. I don't breathe off of a tank that I don't analyze myself. Either with the shop analyzer, or my own. Only exception to that is if it's an air tank where there really is no possibility of getting anything but air. Only happened with aquarium gear. In-house tanks and in-house compressor with no EAN capability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom