Pacific Trash Vortex! Wow! I had no idea it was this bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do your part. It is reported that there will be no more wild ocean fish for us to eat by the year 2020. We'll be down to farmed Tilapia, farm raised Salmon, and farm raised shrimp. Got any idea how healthy (NOT) this is for us??? Seeing this situation scares me. It's not that far off.

Unfortunately over population is the reason for most of the worlds problems today. When the population exceeds the earths resources the only thing that can happen is the population shrinks. It is already happening in other places in the world. Like Africa where people starve every day.

One of the questions that needs to be addressed is.... Does the skeptic need to be convinced it exists? or does the skeptic need convinced that it is a problem?

I actually heard a guy say on Wed....."So there is plastic in the ocean...what the problem...it's not like its toxic." SO showing him pictures of plastic wont change his mind.

Thanks again for the input!

ScubaDrew

The skeptic needs to be convinced that it exists ... one of my friends asked me, "is it real or is it like, an urban legend?" It is difficult for people to fathom (no pun intended) something that huge, and, people in general don't want to think that we humans could possibly be responsible for something so awful, so I think that's where a lot of the apathy comes from. And, its not on the "news." So people don't see it. So by doing what you're doing, and others like you (going there and video-ing it), you are helping in convincing skeptics it exists. As far as convincing the skeptic that is is a problem, well, that's the frustrating part, especially judging from what that guy said about plastic not being toxic! But let's look at the bright side. I believe that people are more and more starting to "wake up", and this big hunk of plastic in the ocean can be a means of waking people up, if that makes any sense. And this has the potential to wake them up not only to the trash vortex itself but to the overall harm we've done to our Earth in general. Turning the negative into a positive, here. So try not to get frustrated, but know that you are doing a tremendous service to humanity. Aloha ...

The skeptic needs to be convinced that it exists ... one of my friends asked me, "is it real or is it like, an urban legend?" It is difficult for people to fathom (no pun intended) something that huge, and, people in general don't want to think that we humans could possibly be responsible for something so awful, so I think that's where a lot of the apathy comes from. And, its not on the "news." So people don't see it. So by doing what you're doing, and others like you (going there and video-ing it), you are helping in convincing skeptics it exists. As far as convincing the skeptic that is is a problem, well, that's the frustrating part, especially judging from what that guy said about plastic not being toxic! But let's look at the bright side. I believe that people are more and more starting to "wake up", and THESE BIG COLLECTIONS of plastic in the ocean can be a means of waking people up, if that makes any sense. And this has the potential to wake them up not only to the trash vortex itself but to the overall harm we've done to our Earth in general. Turning the negative into a positive, here. So try not to get frustrated, but know that you are doing a tremendous service to humanity. Aloha ...

There ya go fixed so as not to proliferate the confusion over it's physical nature..:wink:

There ya go fixed so as not to proliferate the confusion over it's physical nature..:wink:

Wanna run that by me again???
I wasn't trying to talk it down, if that's what you're implying, just trying to see the positive out of a very negative situation. Perhaps I'm just being naive.

I wasn't trying to talk it down, if that's what you're implying, just trying to see the positive out of a very negative situation. Perhaps I'm just being naive.

I believe that all Bob was trying to do was to attempt to limit the erronious information about the vortex. Your post stated

....and this big hunk of plastic in the ocean ....

and he reworded it to state

and THESE BIG COLLECTIONS of plastic in the ocean

All he is trying to do is to prevent skeptics like bluebubble from calling it a lie because it is does not end up a solid hunk of plastic. Unfortunately people like bluebubble exist and they will go out of their way to argue issues like this and they will not let go of a technicality. An ocean filled with plastic bottles would not sway them from arguing the fact that someone called it a solid mass but it is not in fact solid.

That was all. I apologize if I have misinterpereted Bob's post but I personally do not bel;ieve you were trying to put a positive spin on the issue.

6. Start at home and at work. Start now. Get the fire going and it will catch. It needs to become fashionable to recycle and be earth friendly. It's also going to be a requirement for the survival of our planet and it's creatures, big and small. Wake up tomorrow and begin, it's easy. It will make you feel better about the problem too.

This is probably the best answer out there yet. Thanks.

More than reducing the production, more than gathering up what is floating out there (not that those points don't need to be addressed) recycling needs to start becoming habit for people.

We need people to become educated and stop looking at many of the plastic one-use containers we use as one-use containers. Reuse them and/or recycle them. That will help on both sides of the issue. It will reduce demand for new plastic to be produced as well as demand for oil. On the other end it will reduce the amount of plastic that gets out there. Another great way is to start charging for plastic bags at the grocery store. If you use your own bags there is no fee, but if you use the plastic bags then there is a 50 cent charge added to your bill or a dollar. Something to help move people away from using the bags. I am in the military and they started selling the reusable bags about a year ago on our base. It is amazing how many people you now see walking through the parking lot with a basket full of recyclable bags now versus plastic bags. If you can't make it less profitable for the companies to produce the plastic bags then make it more expensive for the end user to use them. It is not like your closing the end user out. You are simply nudging them towards using reusable bags.

As for some people that don't think a 50 cent or dollar charge would halt many people then you need to go to Italy. At the grocery stores there (most of them) you have to deposit somewhere between 50 cents and $1.50, in coins, into a small device on the handle of the grocery baskets to unlock one from the group. If you want your money back then you have to take the basket back and plug the key at the end of the small chain back into the pile of baskets. You would be lucky to ever find a basket anwhere except at the front of the store or collection areas in the parking lot. Much different from the parking lots here where there are baskets spread around everywhere. This is people actually doing work (walking away from their car with the basket and back) to save some pocket change. So, saving pocket change by not even leaving the counter should really appeal to them.

As for water bottles (I suspect a large part of the problem also), stop paying somebody else to bottle your water. Is it just me or is it just retarded to pay somebody for something that you can do yourself. Go get yourself a $20 faucet filter and refill your own bottles. The filter and a couple of good camping/workout drink bottles will more than pay for themselves in a couple of days over the cost of paying somebody to bottle your water for you by buying bottled water by the case. You also won't create more waste by the 25count case.

These are two areas I think/hope would make a big difference in the probem and are sooooooo easy to implement. No special grants, no added tax dollars, no extra time spent on your part. The biggest problem I had was for the first few month remembering to get my stack of bags out of the trunk at the store. Now anytime we go to ANY store, Walmart, mall, grocery store, etc, we open the trunk and take a handful of reusable bags out.

These are things we can do just to simply reduce the amount of crap we put anywhere. In the oceans in the ground, it doesn't matter. We are not going to be able to continue producing trash at an ever increasing rate without eventual consequences. The earth will get along fine without us, we won't get along all that well without the earth.

To quote a recent movie "If the earth dies you die, if you die the earth survives."

Again I ask...did you read what I wrote?

I HAVE BEEN THERE TO SEE IT MYSELF!!!!
Can you say the same thing? No, your opinions are based on WHAT? I asked you for evidence to support your claim and you reply with total fact-less nonsense

I have video and photos of my trip in 2002, but they belong to the Algalita Marine Research Foundation so I am not at liberty to post them, but they have been used in all the reports since 2002.

So again I ask...where is your evidence to support your claim?

Also for the record, at this point I am not going make a dime off what I am doing on this next voyage!

What would we need to do to get them smart enough to realize that pictures help get the word out. It isn't like they are national security pictures. The pics and vid you took only helps their cause on all fronts.

I was, as Steve correctly pointed out, just trying to correct the use of the word island, it's an easy word to accidentally use yet does lend itself to malicious skepticism. Soup is much more analogous I believe...

I should've just sent you a PM.. Oh well live and learn. :D

I was, as Steve correctly pointed out, just trying to correct the use of the word island, it's an easy word to accidentally use yet does lend itself to malicious skepticism. Soup is much more analogous I believe...

I should've just sent you a PM.. Oh well live and learn. :D

No, I think you were right to post it Bob. As we have seen, people will pick apart any single word in a sentence if they want to be argumentative and this topic brings some of those to the table at times. It is better to be as accurate as possible in how it is described so that we give those people as little to argue as possible.

Either way, somebody will always argue anything no matter what, so if we reach 1/2 or 3/4 of the people and have them realize something needs to change, then this thread has been worth it. I think it has already opened enough eyes to "be worth it" and hopefully people can help with the change now.

Drew,
I choose not to prove who I am which might give some a false reality that my profession or background somehow makes everything I say fact.

Sounds like a way a saying you don't have any proof and you are following your own flock of sheep.

This way everyone can choose to investigate and learn about issues instead of being pathetic sheep that believe everything heard. All too often people assume that those with higher education or socioeconomic status are speaking the truth without agenda. All too often that is untrue.

Agreed. All too many times you can see people following actors and celeberties. Sadly, many of them are no more educated than the masses, but due to the status they have been raised to by the masses they are seen as defacto experts anytime they open their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom