PADI nitrox Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the Nitrox certification require a dive with Nitrox to get the certification? From what I read you can 1. Get the crew pack online, study it and then 2. Sit for the exam. If I pass the exam what happens then - does the tester send off the results to PADI? do I need photos for the c-card? I get some conflicting stories as one website said I need to show I can test a tanks oxygen contents ?

Any advice welcome, cheers
No dives are needed, as the act of diving is really no different to diving with air. What is different is the planning, and (if applicable) setting of your computer for the mix.

Aside from the exam (75% pass mark, so very straightforward, assuming you can use the tables), as has been said, you will have to analyse gas, fill in the log correctly, and stick a label on the tank(s) showing the analysed mix, MOD, etc. (We only analysed one tank each.)

Does the Nitrox certification require a dive with Nitrox to get the certification? From what I read you can 1. Get the crew pack online, study it and then 2. Sit for the exam. If I pass the exam what happens then - does the tester send off the results to PADI? do I need photos for the c-card? I get some conflicting stories as one website said I need to show I can test a tanks oxygen contents ?

It's a little more involved than that. The Nitrox class I do can last anywhere from 4-6 hours depending on how many students and how well they grasp the material. We also talk about a few things that are not included in the manual. Then we analyze a few different mixes and learn how to log them on a Nitrox log sheet. Dives are no longer required for certification. As for the photo, I take photos of my students. Other instructors may require you to submit one.

Scuba.com. Its one of the easiest courses out there

You don't need to do dives to get a Nitrox certification with most agencies. I am doing my Intro to Nitrox course at the moment with TDI. The process was
1. Complete a book of questions after doing home study

2. First theory class where we covered (in about 3.5 hours):
-History of Nitrox
-DCI/Narcosis/OxTox/etc (i.e. the usual dangers of diving)
-all the usual pressure stuff from OW
-Pros and cons of Nitrox
-Different decompression models including Buhlmann, Pyle (sp?), Wienke, and Gradient Factors (which is what he focused on)
-Standard gases v best mix. My instructor says he uses GUE standard mixes rather than best mix and gave reasons why
-tissue compartment theory by Haldene
-a bit about helium, as he seemed to be a massive fan :p

3. Second theory class on Tues where we will cover (again 3.5hrs approx):
-how to use different types of dive planning software, with a focus on GAP
-detailed dive plans with using Nitrox, as well as minimum gas requirement planning. We have not been provided with tables other than those for air and have to do the calculations manually - this is not hard however
-different types of Nitrox fills
-how to analyse fills

4. Exam of 50 questions

5. We have to submit detailed plans for two dives

6. We get our card, presume they need pictures taken

We are expected to go and do the dives planned in Step 5 soon after our course but this is not supervised by an instructor.

Anyway, hope this helps with what to expect :) It is a different agency yes but I am not sure it will differ heaps from what PADI teaches as they are both Intro to Nitrox courses (but I could be wrong).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom