Padi or naui for divemaster/instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wilderness Medic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi. Trying to figure out what route to go. Thinking about doing divemaster and maybe even instructor.

Can't stand padi. Put another dollar in, pay a lot dive immediately.... All accurate. I feel like they are a money hungry scam. I'd like to be able to certify friends or whoever, but if what I've read is correct padi is the only way id be able to just take someone out and certify them without being with a shop. Is that correct?

Even if I don't go on to instructor can anyone offer some advice on which way to go with dive master? I'm padi now. One dive shop said naui is more professionally accepted.

Thanks.

SDI/TDI....

But between the two you have leniency with NAUI to teach what you want and test against that, vs PADI which is very restricting, but it is more universally accepted. Of the options, I'd go SDI/TDI hands down

I'd call NAUI directly and ask if you must be affiliated with a shop.

NAUI Worldwide Headquarters
9030 Camden Field Parkway
Riverview, FL. 33578
USA
800-553-6284 Toll-Free
Order Line
813-628-6284 Voice
813-628-8253 Fax

NAUI is making strides to regain prominence in the dive world after some time of falling into complacency. It's reflected in new materials, BoD, and such. Find the NAUI Course Director close to you to learn the details, then see if it's what you want.

rying to figure out what route to go. Thinking about doing divemaster and maybe even instructor. . . . Can't stand padi. Put another dollar in, pay a lot dive immediately.... All accurate. I feel like they are a money hungry scam.
With that attitude, your decision is made for you. Do not go PADI. There are plenty of training agencies out there, and if for whatever reason you have the opinion of PADI that you express here, then PADI is not for you, and you are not right for PADI.
Even if I don't go on to instructor can anyone offer some advice on which way to go with dive master? I'm padi now. One dive shop said naui is more professionally accepted..
What does this mean - 'professionally accepted'? By whom? Where? I think NAUI, PADI, SDI/TDI (and several others) fall into a similar category of acceptance.

If you are looking to work in a resort type area, PADI is by far the most widely used agency. It will be easier to find a job as a PADI instructor than a NAUI instructor. Not sure where SDI/TDI fits in with that these days. I know you can't be an independent instructor with SDI/TDI, so you have to have some sort of affiliation with a store. I think you can be independent with PADI and NAUI, but I haven't kept up with PADI since ditching them a few years ago.

If you just want to be an instructor to certify a few friends... don't bother. With just dues and insurance you are looking at $600-1200/year.

-Chris

All NAUI instructors are able to teach independently. NAUI is the oldest of all the certification agencies, and is a member association unlike PADI and SSI which are corporate entities ( SSI is owned by Head Sporting Goods and last I heard PADI is owned by an investment bank ?). NAUI has recently signed agreements with both DAN and Performance Freediving, and NAUI instructors will be able to teach use and issue DAN materials in NAUI courses. Details re Freediving will be announced soon. Check out agency web sites, and call appropriate HQ for additional info. I work with a shop that is a NAUI, SSI, and PADI dive center. As a NAUI instructor, I'm the only one who can teach independently, acquire my own students and teach outside the shop.

As mentioned above NAUI instructors can teach independently, and so can PADI instructors. If you want to work in the tropics and want flexibility for finding a job and determining location PADI is the way to go. PADI does the most marketing and advertising. The question you need to ask is why do you only want to teach such a small group of people. What is the purpose and is it really worth all of the costs and liability? In addition, you need to consider equipment; are you going to supply all of it or are you going to make them buy it, and do you have easy access to a pool that isn't going to cost a lot. The idea of becoming an instructor to just teach friends and family may sound good, but it isn't always that easy.

Since I teach both NAUI and PADI all of my DM candidates go through NAUI DM/AI and PADI DM training, so I recommend doing both.

A lot of good information, thanks. And apologies I meant sdi was said to be more professionally accepted these days. I believe that's what's taught at HSU up north from me and widely recognized from what I hear.

It sounds like what I was looking for isn't a reality so I'll probably skip instructor. I don't wish to work for a dive shop anywhere, I just wanted to certify friends and family that had interest. I didn't realize there was huge insurance fees and such required to be kept. I was imagining just going and renting some gear for a friend and teaching them.

If that insurance is required by all I guess the prices make more sense. When I see a required book for night diving on sale at a shop for $60 that seems to be all common sense (I.e. You need a flashlight...) I start feeling like that's a little ridiculous.

It sounds like the DM stuff is more of a personal choice, I'll check more into SDI. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom