Maldives vs Palau liveabaord Nov 2024/Early Dec 2024

• Maldives Nautilus 2 Ari-south atoll

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Palau liveaboard - Solitude

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harshit Bajpai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I read some Palau vs Maldives vs Raja (which I have already done so looking for something different), but they are quite old and I hoping to get some feedback from someone with more recent experience. Below are my options -
1. Maldives Nautilus 2 (4/11-14/11) - Ari and South (Male-North Ari Atoll-South Ari Atoll-Felidhoo Atoll-South Male Atoll-Male)
2. Solitude one (07/12-17/12) - Koror - Koror
3. Solitude Gaia (21/11-01/12) - Koror - Koror (Same as solitude one itinerary)

Few points I am comparing them on -
  1. Marine life -- I don't know, TBH. Which is better in 2024? What is the difference between the two?
  2. Liveaboard -- Undoubtedly, Solitude is much better, and it reflects in the price. But Nautilus is good enough too. Perhaps one of the best one in the Maldives (I can think of only Scubaspa being ahead)​
  3. Price - Solitude is considerably expensive for the same number of nights. I am willing to compromise on this a little as I feel now is the time I can shell a little extra, and I might never get a chance again to visit Palau. But the overall price difference is coming out around 3000-4000 EURO extra if I go to Palau, which is not a small amount for me.​
  4. I live in the UK. Very easy to get to the Maldives, but quite challenging to get to Palau, especially when I am considering to stay in India either after or before the trip. I am fine with the travel as I am 27 years old and will be travelling alone. But still, it will be tricky for me to get to Palau.​

If anyone has any recent experience, please do suggest what should I do? Is Palau really that good that in 2024 that it makes sense for me to shell out 3000-4000 EURO extra and spend 20 hours extra on flying time too? My main concern is if the diving is more or less going to be the same, it doesn't make sense for me to spend that much extra time, money and effort in planning it.
Having been really frugal throughout the year to save up for a liveaboard holiday, but still struggling a bit with vacation guilt of the idea of spending a bit extra on the Palau trip.

I have been to both and would quickly go back to Palau before going back to Maldives. Everything that I've read lately is that Maldives is getting crowded wit lots of dive boats. Underwater life is also much better at Palau. Raja is also a serious site. Actually all three were great. My wife would choose Raja for the smaller underwater life.

I have been to both and would quickly go back to Palau before going back to Maldives. Everything that I've read lately is that Maldives is getting crowded wit lots of dive boats. Underwater life is also much better at Palau. Raja is also a serious site. Actually all three were great. My wife would choose Raja for the smaller underwater life.
Can you tell a little more about the underwater life in Palau? What exactly is better? Better visibility? More big stuff? Better corals?

Having already done RA last year which had great corals but not that great visibility all the time, I am thinking of something different this year.

The route that Nautilus will be taking doesn't look that crowded. I couldn't find any other liveabaord offering same? Most are of central atolls and are often during December.

maldives generally is a bit cheaper and the good sites have bigger sharks (hammers/tigers/bulls/whale sharks) if that is your thing

but macro and coral quality is far better in palau. vis seemed better overall too

Can you tell a little more about the underwater life in Palau? What exactly is better? Better visibility? More big stuff? Better corals?

Having already done RA last year which had great corals but not that great visibility all the time, I am thinking of something different this year.

The route that Nautilus will be taking doesn't look that crowded. I couldn't find any other liveabaord offering same? Most are of central atolls and are often during December.
Larger fish and sharks in Palau. I think I also saw my first Crocodile fish too. The crowded conditions that I've been reading about would have me avoid Maldives. Indonesia is always spectacular. We were at Wackatobe and did land for a week and then got on the boat for a week. The only negative was all of the plastic in the water and on the beach.

In the past 18 months we did resort/boat diving in the Maldives and a liveaboard on Palau.

The current in the Maldives was crazy. It was quite a challenge getting around dive sites. Visibility was 30 to 60 feet. We did some manta dives but I really don't have a lot of memories of the Maldives that stand out.

I enjoyed Palau. Not much to see in Koror, but it's a really clean country. Nice museum in town. Jellyfish Lake is no longer worth visiting. Our tour company cancelled our trip to the lake. The historical land tour of the Peleliu battlefield was fascinating. The wreck of the Iro was nice. The islands of Palau formed a wonderful backdrop. Tons of sharks and mantas. The current was managable. Lots of time hooked on the top of walls watching sharks.

A couple of my videos from Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom