Palos Verdes South Side Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I found an offshore reef a few years ago but haven't dived it because we were having too much fun on other reefs. I also didn't expect much from this reef due to its close proximity to other reefs that have urchin barrens or little marine life. We were in for a real treat.

Upon reaching the bottom I immediately pictured this reef as Hawthorne Reef only cleaner. It's smaller, allowing for a diver to explore the circumference on a single dive. It rises sharply from the bottom in over seventy feet to fifty three feet at the highest point.

Sponges, rockfish and nudibranchs dominate the large rock. We decided to call it Kevin's Reef. We've been looking for a beautiful, life-filled reef to live up to its namesake and I had the coordinates all this time. We may not see Golf Ball Reef for a long time.

Visibility was well over thirty feet, allowing us to find each other and the anchor easily.

Kevins%20Reef%202_zpsys0qh3k1.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%204_zps0ys9preu.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%205_zpspqmphfuj.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%206_zpssvgu8lil.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%207_zpst5wtynrk.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%2010_zpscmdldv2p.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%208_zps1o1cxxqn.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%209_zpsqws53lnn.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%203_zps1a0fh5zs.jpg

Kevins%20Reef%201_zpsqvsti9gw.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back