Panglao/Balicasag vs Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaeye

New
Reaction score
Looking at a December trip to Asia for diving. If anyone has been to both, can you recommend one of Panglao or Koh Tao over the other? Looking for some place that's not too crowded, but has excellent diving.

Both are crowded.
The diving in Panglao is better than Koh Tao.
There are other places in the P.I. that are less crowded and the diving is better.
Or you can get the best diving in SEA and go to Indonesia.
If you give us a bit more info on what your looking for?

Of the two places mentioned, Panglao is the only choice in Dec as it is the wrong time of the yr for Koh Tao.
"dirtfarmer" said there are better diving and less crowded places in Philippines other than Panglao and I totally agreed.
Dauin, Sipalay or Sogod Bay is my suggestion. Dauin is the easier to get to ie. internal flight from either Cebu City or Manila. Ferry or combination of bus/ferry from Cebu City will also get you there.
Operators that I had used and recommended:
Dauin: Liquid
Sipalay: Aristic
Sogod Bay: Peter's

Slightly of the beaten track: Siquijor[an hr ferry from Dumaguete(Dauin)]
You can also check out Apo Island(stone throw from Dumaguete) if you are looking for rustic feel.

Thanks for the responses. Technically, it's Christmas week, so December into January. From all the research I had done, it looks like Koh Tao is diveable then, but if that's not the case...easy to rule it out. It also doesn't have to be Koh Tao, but could be Koh Phangan or Ang Thong.

Had researched the Philippines, but am unfortunately stuck with Panglao, or possibly Malapascua. I know the diving is better in other spots, but there are other topside activities not possible in the better dive spots.

If you believe Christmas is the right time to dive Koh Tao or its surrounding then be my guest. Most divers would have gone to the other side of the Kingdom.
There is no top side attraction in Malapascua whatsoever.

Apart from being on a gorgeous Island and diving with Threshers every day !!

You might be aware of this already since you're looking into topside stuff as well, but just know the Philippines are a difficult place to travel at Christmas. For many it's their one time of the year to go home to the province, and while you can arrange airfare ahead of time (and should do so) local transport can be super crowded and difficult to get as well. It's doable, but just plan ahead and be sure to leave plenty of transit time.

Koh Tao has never been synonymous with "excellent diving". Far from it...

It's a place for absolute bargain basement open water course costs, a haven for zero-to-hero 'pros'... and/or a very cool apres dive scene. That's all.

Malapascua on its worst day would beat Koh Tao in its best day.

If diving is the focus, there's a near-infinite list of better places than Tao/Phangan/Samui...

.... but if you wanna hang out with ab flexing millennial types, eat fancy European food, dance all night barefoot with fire jugglers... Tao is the spot to head for....

Last edited:
Apart from being on a gorgeous Island and diving with Threshers every day !!
Even on my first visit to the island back in 2002 I did not go to Monad Shoal everyday. There are other good spots around eg Gato island and Donna Marilyn wreck.
Actually if I ever make it back again, I might even skip the morning shark dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom