Papua Explorers Dive Resort question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with Papua Explorers Dive Resort near Dampier in Raja Ampat? My friend is just arriving there and seems to think she will be able to use her dive experience there to evaluate the area and compare it to Red Sea diving which is much easier and less expensive for her to reach.

Papua Explorers accesses a very small collection of RA dive sites, but they're sites with excellent reputations when the conditions are good. Viz can be exceptional, and the sites very fishy. Having said that, we all know diving can be a crap shoot anywhere. And because Dampier Strait diving is quite different than in the Misool area of southern RA, her experience will only be a part of the total RA experience. If she hits it right, she'll dive sites that can be classed as 'world class' in many divers' experience.

Thanks, it is my concern that she won't have a true reference for comparison and you have confirmed that.

Have you been there yourself?

Papua Explorers accesses a very small collection of RA dive sites, but they're sites with excellent reputations when the conditions are good. Viz can be exceptional, and the sites very fishy. Having said that, we all know diving can be a crap shoot anywhere. And because Dampier Strait diving is quite different than in the Misool area of southern RA, her experience will only be a part of the total RA experience. If she hits it right, she'll dive sites that can be classed as 'world class' in many divers' experience.
I wouldn't say Dampier is only a small collection of RA sites, it's almost half of the area... and there are world class sites, like the Passage, Cape Kri, Blue Magic or even Otdima, Sardine reef.

I have been diving the red sea for years and stopped in 2001 when I realized there was a HUGE difference between Indonesia/Philippines and the Red Sea, at first divers in the french boards thought I was either snobbish or stupid wasting money. Now they're all going to SEA... :rolleyes:

I did a 13 day liveaboard that the itinerary was labelled "greater Raja Ampat" I found that each area was phenomenal for certain things, South for soft coral, central for current and pelagics and north for critters! It was excellent and far better than Wakatobi, Hawaii, Fiji but not Australia

I did a 13 day liveaboard that the itinerary was labelled "greater Raja Ampat" I found that each area was phenomenal for certain things, South for soft coral, central for current and pelagics and north for critters! It was excellent and far better than Wakatobi, Hawaii, Fiji but not Australia

What is better in Australia than Raja Ampat? Just curious. I'll be in Code Hole, Lizard Island, Australia in a couple of months.

I wouldn't say Dampier is only a small collection of RA sites, it's almost half of the area... and there are world class sites, like the Passage, Cape Kri, Blue Magic or even Otdima, Sardine reef.

I would agree those sites are world class on the right day, but they all fall within an area maybe 15x20km, while I make out ALL of RA to be maybe 150x250km. That was my point in saying it was a small part of Raja Ampat.

We went in April, and loved it. Not a lot of experience between us, but it was our best diving to date (which includes Bonaire, Ribbon Reefs/GBR for tropical destinations). Certainly worth it, and worth repeating although a 14 day Liveaboard that ranges further afield is also very tempting.

Have you been there yourself?

Yes, and I'd go back. I would have to work hard to find a negative aspect to the operation. Very well organized dive op with good guides, excellent food (an assortment of fresh pastries every morning!), comfortable, spacious accommodations, fan-cooled only. I recommend it!

Wakatobi is very nice IMO. far better than HI and Fiji. we were also in RA in July (Kri Island).
P7157770-adj-trim-small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom