Papua Explorers Dive Resort question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say Dampier is only a small collection of RA sites, it's almost half of the area... and there are world class sites, like the Passage, Cape Kri, Blue Magic or even Otdima, Sardine reef.

I have been diving the red sea for years and stopped in 2001 when I realized there was a HUGE difference between Indonesia/Philippines and the Red Sea, at first divers in the french boards thought I was either snobbish or stupid wasting money. Now they're all going to SEA... :rolleyes:

this is a crude dive map i got of the dampier straight area. it came from Sorido Bay resort on Kri island which is about 20 min across the straight from Paupa Explorer. some fantastic dive sites there.
P8238502-adj-small.jpg

I was there this past April. Excellent resort and dive op. The diving was superb. I had also done a two week Liveaboard prior to the stay at the resort. I have never been to the Red Sea but I have been to PNG, Austraila,Philippines, Lembeh, most of the Caribbean. Raja is worth the trip. I can not fault anything about the resort.

Awesome resort and you can add trips farther afield to the diving itinerary when you are there outside their regular scheduled sites which are closer in. We did 7 days there and hit most of the sites that the liveaboards were doing. She will get a very good idea of what diving in Raj is like from a week there. I find it much better than Red Sea.

I did most of my diving in Indonesia when I was living in Singapore, including 5 live aboard trips in Raja Ampat. Having moved back to Europe, I started diving the Red Sea last year and have been there 3 times now. I do think that a week's diving in Dampier strait will give a fair idea of how Raja Ampat compares to the Red Sea...

I actually love both (for different reasons obviously).

Thanks all!! I'm feeling much better about her trip in general. Heehee

RA supports immense marine biodiversity (i.e. The earths greatest coral reef ecosystem) I've dove across the pacific in the past 25 yrs (AU, Coral sea, Fiji, Micronesia, Tuamotus , HI & Indo) & no other reef system encompasses the incredible diversity of sea life that RA does, IMO. WAOW is the ultimate liveaboard ; fabulous comfort, top safety & great food & crew. Did the Secrets of Seram itin in Oct. '14 & it was phenomenal. Also stayed at Papua Explorers & was very happy with the resort, boats, food & staff. We are returning next week to do 10 days on WAOW & 10 days at Papua Explorers. Can't imagine anywhere that would be,better for tropical reef diving (Komodo is close & some reefs in Coral sea back in early 90's were up there, but sadly not now.)

Papua Explorers accesses a very small collection of RA dive sites, but they're sites with excellent reputations when the conditions are good. Viz can be exceptional, and the sites very fishy. Having said that, we all know diving can be a crap shoot anywhere. And because Dampier Strait diving is quite different than in the Misool area of southern RA, her experience will only be a part of the total RA experience. If she hits it right, she'll dive sites that can be classed as 'world class' in many divers' experience.

They do not have Aircon. I'm afraid that rules it out for me. Otherwise, sounds good!

- Bill

They do not have Aircon. I'm afraid that rules it out for me. Otherwise, sounds good!

- Bill

Me too. I managed to sleep with just underwear with fan blowing through my bed covered with mosquito net & all windows wide open during the night when I was in Raja4 Divers Dive Resort in Pulau Pef. The sound of the fan woke me up in the middle of the night once in a while. Luckily, Raja Ampat sea wave mostly calm at night with very little waves, more like ripples like you see in a lake, so I hardly heard the waves hitting the shore. One of the night we had sea breeze, which made the sleep more comfortable.

Last edited:
It's such a shame, at least in my case because I'm not going to be visiting PE Dampier Straight Raja Ampat or ScubaJunkies Komodo or a new one to me, St. John's DIve Resort in Central Sulawesi.

Back
Top Bottom