Paramedic dead in off-duty training - Tennesee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Washington County EMS paramedic dies in off-duty scuba training dive
A veteran Washington County/Johnson City EMS paramedic died Thursday while on non-work-related scuba dive training at an area lake.

Sgt. Jason Austin, 36, of Limestone, was working on his deep dive certification at South Holston Lake Thursday afternoon when the accident happened, according to the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office. Capt. Andy Seabolt said Austin was transported to Bristol Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

EMS Executive Director Dan Wheeley said the agency was mourning and in shock from Austin’s sudden death. Austin was part of the EMS management team and served as a field training officer for new employees.

“He’d done really well and moved up the ranks pretty quickly,” Wheeley said.

Austin began his EMS career in May 2012, served with the Limestone Volunteer Fire Department and worked part-time on a rescue truck at Fall Branch Volunteer Fire Department. His EMS shift was the group on duty Friday, just hours after learning their direct superior had died.

(continued at link above)

That's three FF deaths in recent weeks and two hospitalized. I'm starting to wonder if they fill their own tanks with the fire department's SCBA compressor/cascade system like I do. I don't completely trust the CO alarm on our Mako. I always make sure no police cruisers are idling outside (air intake just below roof line outside), and no apparatus has been started or run recently in or near the bays when I fill.

Back
Top Bottom