Peeing in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all. I am new here. I am not new to diving, but I must confess I haven't been for a while. First of all, I have always been a wetsuit diver. I am not in a position to advise drysuit divers, so I won't try. I did want to give a perspective from a fella (Me) who has a very dysfunctional bladder. For the past 17 years I have had to deal with it, and have had to adjust to wearing absorbent products (Diapers and absorbent underwear). I was ashamed, and terrified in the beginning. However, I am not any more. The past couple of years, I have had to resort to wearing them night and day. I have since found that it isn't a terrible thing, and that no one really cares. I have tried condom catheters because of the irrational fear of being found out of wearing a diapers. However, I have found they didn't work well for me, for various reasons. I won't go into the gory details. In the past couple of years, the quality and comfort of adult diapers have improved dramatically. They are now worry free, and I often forget I am wearing them. Long story short... I would not hesitate to wear diapers with a dry suit. Because of problems with catheters, I would not install a P-Valve. Ironically, as a wetsuit diver, I could dive diaper free. Even with the quality and comfort, It is still nice change (No pun intended) of pace to be able to go diaper free. There are times at home when I do. I hope this is helpful. Take care all.

Hi
at dive site early to get changed into my drysuit put my catheter condom on then put undersuit on bottom half of my drysuit on connect catheter condom to the urinal tube inside my drysuit weightbelt and wights on then connect bcd to airtank with full face mask attached my bcd with airtank with full face mask on and connect inflator hose to my inflator valve on my drysuit put my dryhood on

I dove my drysuit for a year before deciding to add a p-valve. A lot of my buddies made fun of me (in a buddy way) about needing a p-valve for short recreational dives. When I dive a wetsuit I would pee about 3 time on a 40-60 min dive. When I switched to a drysuit I would intentionally dehydrate myself so that I didn't have to pee on a dive. Without fail I would cramp up to the high heaven on my 3rd dive of the day. I haven't had a chance to dive my drysuit with the pee valve but I can say this summer I didn't have a diving day where I cramped when in my wetsuit knowing I could pee when I wanted.

The urge to urinate when diving is called immersion diuresis, and is multifactorial. It is due to a number of factors that tend to centralize blood volume during diving (those include being weightless, and being cold).

X2 This.

Immersion diuresis happens because suddenly you don't have gravity pulling more of your fluid (mostly blood) to your feet. Plus, you're suddenly chilled, so you vaso-restrict. These two factors shunt lots of fluid back to your core, which your body suddenly reads as a major fluid overload. This, in turn, flips your kidneys into overdrive to try to get rid of all this unexpected fluid.

Truth is: it's going to happen even if you're dehydrated to hell. But if you're dehydrated to hell then your body is getting rid of the fluids necessary to proper gas exchanges, thus putting yourself at greater risk of other problems (like DCS).

Buy a p-valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom