Which location would be best fitted for underwater photography?

• Cape Verde Islands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the Azores

• Jamaica

• Dominican Republic

• Thailand

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Canary Islands

• Mexico

• Absolutely none of the above, what are you thinking?!

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoahNoah

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I am searching for a destination that has crystal clear water beaches. I'm planning to do a set of underwater photoshoots, and need some beautiful scenery, but most importantly, very clear water with a good vertical and horizontal visibility (sample photo).

I've tried in Bali, but the beaches there disappointed. Due to the high activity the water churned up stuff from below so the water was murky, pretty much all the time. It was impossible to get some good shots.

I've been looking at
  • Cape Verde (n/a)
  • the Azores (n/a)
  • Jamaica (Negril)
  • Dominican Republic (n/a)
  • Thailand (Krabi)
  • Canary Islands (Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Gran Canaria)
  • Mexico (Cancun)
  • Any other suggestions are much welcomed!
Do you have any recommendations for me based on these criteria?

Last edited:
Where are you located? That will help us figure out how much is too much when it comes to airfare for you.

You've not dove, not even snorkled, and plan to perform professional photography with a model on a dive trip. I suspect this is going to be a more involved thing than may be obvious. In scuba diving, you wear a substantial amount of awkward gear, need to maintain roughly neutral buoyancy, and have to deal with positioning yourself in a 3 dimensional environment with no solid ground under your feet, a loss of some peripheral vision, inability to speak and the inability to discern what direction sounds are coming from.

On the forum, it's recommended by some to dive awhile before taking a camera along, such as for snap shots. The kind of camera with a pro. photographer does is in another league.

"Unfortunately, I can't find any reasonably priced tickets, so Bahamas is not an option for me."

Tell us where you're coming from & what you consider reasonably priced. Often other factors than airfare run up the cost of a trip.

Richard.

You own professional underwater photography gear, which typically runs in the thousands of dollars (US), but a ticket to the Bahamas is too expensive for your budget?

You also might want to budget for a dive training course. Without a certification from a dive agency, you are going to be hard pressed to find anyone who will let you breathe from a scuba tank underwater while doing a photo shoot.

Richard - is it difficult to learn how to snorkel? I've seen people do underwater photography without any diving gear whatsoever. We are not planning to go to deep depths - 1 meter shallow waters, 1.5 tops. I wouldn't go deeper without appropriate equpiment.

NetDoc - From the arctic, Trondheim! =) Don't put too much focus on airfare prices though, I simply want tips on locations that would suit me. When I have a few to chose from I will try to find reasonably prices tickets, alternatively I will simply save up more and then go later this year.

Lorenzoid - Nice comment on my budget :) You're wrong though, I don't own professional underwater gear, but a positive mindset. Tickets to Bahamas are 2600 USD with 2 intermediate landings.

WrmBluH2O - I dont understand

Richard - is it difficult to learn how to snorkel? I've seen people do underwater photography without any diving gear whatsoever. We are not planning to go to deep depths - 1 meter shallow waters, 1.5 tops. I wouldn't go deeper without appropriate equpiment.
. . .
Lorenzoid - Nice comment on my budget :) You're wrong though, I don't own professional underwater gear, but a positive mindset. Tickets to Bahamas are 2600 USD with 2 intermediate landings.

A snorkel is less than one meter long. You can't breathe through a snorkel a meter underwater. Snorkeling means you are floating on the surface. But you seem to have it figured out. Actually, I am intrigued. So please don't take my inquisitiveness the wrong way.

That can't be right, unless you have to pay 100% tax on flights in Norway.
It is according to the travel agency. There are also flights with Lufthansa that "only" take 23hrs but they are 70.000 NOK. But not sure why we are debating the costs of the airfare when the thread did not inquiry on that but on destinations that are ideal for underwater photography.

Lorenzoid: yes yes. I saw you were from Atlanta. Explains everything! Flying to the Bbahamas from Atlanta is like flying to Germany from here, which I can do for like 20 bucks. Well Atlanta is not the centre of the universe :D A few of us have to fly from half way around the world.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom