Philippines Dive Trip Part 2 - Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Following our short stay in Subic Bay, we then headed down to Anilao for what we were really after ….. nudibranchs.

The journey was extremely tiresome and long, six and a half hours in total with only one pit stop, which was on the Anilao side of Manila. This was also the last place where we had a decent cup of coffee until we returned to Dubai.

Traffic in Manila

Jeepney in Batangas

Having left at 0600, we arrived at 1230 just in time for lunch :D

Even though it had been two and a half years since my last visit, several of the staff remembered me including Edgar and Glen the dive guides, however we were assigned a different guide Jhomel.

It was also good to have a decent place to work on my camera too, as Crystal Blue’s camera room is pretty top notch. As per their practice we also had our own assigned banka and crew of two besides the guide.

After lunch we decided to have a leisurely dive on the house reef, and discovered that some rules had changed regarding shore dives … they were not allowed and we had to use the banka in case of strong currents …. really! It was flat calm. But rules are rules, so we used the boat.

We splashed around 15:00 and had an eighty-two minute dive shooting over 100 images, including several nudis that neither of us had seen before, definitely a good start.

An unknown Melibe sp.

For the next four days our schedule was up at 0630, sort out our gases, fresh batteries in cameras and strobes then breakfast before we left for our first dives at 0800. We hit several sites over the four days and managed three dives daily including a couple of night dives, which also proved to be great. None of our dives was less than 80 minutes

Goniobranchus leopardus – been after this one for years

Favorinus tsuruganus

Of course it wasn’t all nudis, there were several other critters that made the week including a Flambuoyant Cuttlefish,

a Mimic Octopus – spot the shrimps

and a host of different shrimps, including two massive Emperor Shrimps on a sea cucumber

and several frogfish on most dives.

I would say in conclusion that Anilao matches Lembeh easily for critters, and for me a much more economic option as I only need one flight from Dubai, whereas to reach Lembeh I need two flights to Manado.

Now the only thing I ask Crystal Blue Resort to do is ....... install an espresso machine :D

I dunno. I'd rather take 2 flights than a 6 hour drive in traffic. Easy for me to said since I've not been to Anilao. :)

Excellent report and lovin' on your photos. That's a very pretty hairy frogfish. Looks like he just had a trim.

Hi Chilly thanks for the comments

It's still a two hour drive from Manila to Anilao but probably not as bad compared to from Manado to Lembeh.

There was another small hairy one, I must start going through my Day 1 of Anilao shots, as I only picked a few to edit initially.

Anyway here it is

Wow now there's a hairy guy. :)

Great report, I guess the Hairy Frogfish fiesta occured on that site north of Secret bay. there were so many 2 months ago, I counted 6 on a single dive from completely trimmed to moderately shaggy though I missed the long haired one.

Although I put Anilao quite high in my book thanks to Dennis, a fantastic guide I am diving with, I still think Lembeh has an edge for critter density and behavior. They're going nuts there, while in Anilao they have too much room to go bonkers at each other. This is something we agreed on while discussing with Ben, the indonesian dive guide at Acacia who was a former Lembeh guide.
Anilao Pier at night time might be the exception though.

I don't want to be a party pooper but I think you have a Hypselodoris Tryoni (Brown lined gills, silvery rhinophores, distinct purple line) here not the G.Leopardus you're looking for, that has blue tipped rhinophores, white gills and white splashes overlapping the purple line bordering the mantle..

Hi Luko,

Thanks for the feedback, I will need to look at my books again regarding G. leopardus

Both hairy frogfish were photographed over at "Bubbles" dive site which is the north side of Marcaban Is./ Caban Is. directly opposite CBR

Hi Luko,

Thanks for the feedback, I will need to look at my books again regarding G. leopardus

Both hairy frogfish were photographed over at "Bubbles" dive site which is the north side of Marcaban Is./ Caban Is. directly opposite CBR

Hi Luko,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom