Photographers- Here is a chance to be published

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys.... This isn't a "contest". There is no first, second or third place finishers.

I've been bombarded by aspiring photographers at the trade and consumer shows. This is the avenue I've come up with to discover talent. I mean, anyone can take a dozen awesome pics over the span of ten years, then show up at an event, claim they were all taken the same weekend and imply that I'm a fool for not giving them an assignment in Bonaire, Galapagos, Bahamas, etc.. Similar scenarios like the one just described happen to me several times a day at these events. If I assign that person something and they come back with nothing, I look like an idiot. This is a chance for aspiring photographers to show me they can handle an assignment BEFORE I give them one. This will probably be the only way I will bring new photographers into the fold because the playing field will be level (same reefs, same conditions, same divers).

I wrote and took pics for everyone else a few years back. The way I broke in was writing stuff for free for The Scuba News. Then I wrote an article about a shark dive off of Boca Raton and the publisher of Skin Diver Magazine saw it. But before contacting me, he contacted the Scuba News and asked if I was a "one hit wonder" or if I was consistent. I had to prove myself before getting that big break. Why wouldn't anyone who wants gigs for my magazine expect the same?

Listen, I can easily get established people to provide me with more than enough content to fill the magazine. I've done it three times now. But what about the new guys and gals? Those that are deserving of a shot? Those that feel they are deserving of a shot? I'm using this as an avenue to discover rising stars in the industry. AND yes, I do plan to pay the photographer for "first and one-time" rights for use their photos. This means that the photographer still retains copyright of the image after it runs in the print and digital versions of the magazine. If I want to use the photos for something else after the fact, I'll contact the photographer and negotiate a new deal. I will only be leaving the boat with the 20-30 images to provide to the design team. Contracts will have already been offered for those images.

And.... There are no gimmicks, hooks, gaffs, or BS. PLAIN AND SIMPLE- Those that "prove themselves" and show me they can handle an assignment best will be offered one. And YES, the plan is to have everyone donate a few pics taken that day for all of us to view, analyze good and bad, determine what was done right & what was done wrong, and to help give each other ideas so they all become better photographers.

B-T-W-Regarding the "wording"- I can't promise that everyone who participates will have a photo published. What if they flat out suck as photographers? All I am promising is that the entire article will be illustrated with photos taken by participants, and that proper compensation will be paid to the photographers for "first and one-time" rights for those photos that are used. They will be paid out at the same rates I paid Ty Sawyer, Fred Garth, Graeme Teague and everyone else.

I hope this helps answer any questions. This really is "On The Level".

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Have you seen the March Issue of Scuba Sport? All but one of the underwater photos that appear in the Bahamas AND Turks and Caicos articles were taken using a Nikonos V, 15MM lens and SB-105 strobes. You dont need an expensive "high-end" camera system to take awesome pics.

Reactions: RJP
... All I am promising is that the entire article will be illustrated with photos taken by participants, and that proper compensation will be paid to the photographers for "first and one-time" rights for those photos that are used. They will be paid out at the same rates I paid Ty Sawyer, Fred Garth, Graeme Teague and everyone else.

I hope this helps answer any questions. This really is "On The Level".
That answers the question I had, thank you, that's a much better deal than I've grown to expect.

Makes sense Joe, btw, I'm a great photographer. Care to send me to Bonaire? :wink: Wish I could get in on the trip but unfortunately it doesn't fit my schedule. Have a good time.

That answers the question I had, thank you, that's a much better deal than I've grown to expect.

Ditto here -- it answers the concern that I had too.

The unfortunate reality is that there's now a lot of 'contests' that grab extensive rights to all photos submitted, regardless of if the photo wins a prize or not. These are the harvesters that one hears mention of, which are AFAIC highly unethical.

As I said - - very glad that this is NOT the case here.

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom