Photographer's rant...when someone says, "nice pics, you must have a good camera!"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twhi

Reaction score
# of dives
..as if it's the camera that selected the lens, chose the camera settings and put the photographer in position to take the shot.

When I hear comments like this, I wonder if they would ever say something like..

"Nice meal, chef, you must have a good stove!"

:idk:

There are meals that are better when cooked in the proper stove.

There are pictures that are better because of the camera.

I spent months researching which digital camera to buy, because in the long run you get better results with the proper equipment.

The photo below is Program Mode / Auto Flash / stock housing. Most people are correct when that photo causes them to say I must have a good camera. :)

I get that fairly often when I post pics to my Facebook account.
I delete the lousy ones, so all my shots look pretty good.
I am actually flattered when folks say that I must have a nice camera as I use an ancient Sea Life DC200.
I just tell them I have an old cheap lousy camera and I get lucky a lot.

Chug
Still needs a better camera

I know it's not really the camera. The camera counts, but it is not easy to get a good picture underwater. It's not like your subjects sit and pose for you and you can stay very still easily. Surge, particulates, other divers, moving subjects, and lighting are real problems, just to name a few. And with my old camera, the shutter lag gives me a lot of fish butts.

You certainly can't be saying that the photographer exercises intelligence and creativity when snapping an image, could you? I thought they were just there to press the button. Seriously, I know what you mean. Although cameras do differ in terms of quality, ability to properly render colors, lens sharpness and distortion, etc., it is the eye of the photographer that is usually responsible for creating an artistic shot rather than a snap shot. However, these days you also have to give some credit to Photoshop (tee hee).

I for one an appreciative of ANY positive feedback that I get. If they comment on the camera, I tell them proudly what I shoot. I do not care if they think it was me or the camera......I appreciate that they like the result.

I for one an appreciative of ANY positive feedback that I get. If they comment on the camera, I tell them proudly what I shoot. I do not care if they think it was me or the camera......I appreciate that they like the result.

And for those bazillions of us to whom "must have a nice camera" fits, ('cause it darn sure isn't the operator!), we salute those of you that really have put in the time and skills to produce those fabulous shots. :thumb:

..as if it's the camera that selected the lens, chose the camera settings and put the photographer in position to take the shot.

When I hear comments like this, I wonder if they would ever say something like..

"Nice meal, chef, you must have a good stove!"

:idk:

The stove does matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'nnnnn

I've thought it would be fun to have a multi-day pro photographer shootout, and then give them disposable film cameras to shoot with and see what they come up with over the course of the contest. I'd bet there'd be some cool stuff by the end of the shoot.

Back
Top Bottom