Physiological risk factors for pre-teen divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learnt when 11, SSA Instructor by 12. Am 38 now and still dive actively. Am of average height and intelligence so it didn't seem to effect me. Had 500 dives by 18. Have broken a few bones on my motorbike, but they all healed normally and X-rays all look normal. My legs still seem to work fine despite what everyones told me.

So in short dont worry

The main drawbacks of learning to dive that young were
1) the 4cuft cylinder was bigger than me and I had to throw it in and put it on in the water
2) My twin hose DV could wrap about 6 times round my small head
3) My brain is now convinced it can breath underwater which is fun when I go normal swimming
Good bits
1) Wetsuit was a lot cheaper to make as I needed less material
2) Telling adults what to do
3) A 40cuft lasted for ages as my lungs were so small
4) I got to wear a BIG knife!! :wink:

BUT I'm also fat and ugly, So as we now have 2 documented young divers whom this is true for have we spotted the side effects :confused:

DocVikingo:
Hi AllenG,

The following copy of my Sep '01 Undercurrent http://www.undercurrent.org/ piece "The Minds and Bodies of Children -- are they really suited to scuba?," may address some points of interest to you:

...—Doc Vikingo"

Let me know if you have additonal questions.

DocVikingo

Hi Doc (or anyone concerned),

As I understand I am breaking in to a thread that has been quiet for more than two years.
Would there be any updates, with new data on this issieu, I could read?

I'm a 42 year old Rescue diver.
My daughter is 12 and want's to dive too...
So that's why I am interested.

Thanks.
Willem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom