Pioneer Women Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
In the few short years I have been privileged to be a small component of this board and the modern California diving community I have been honored to have met and on occasion corresponded with a selected number of delightful enthusiastic female divers. Divers with names like "Anne Marie, Cajan, IDG," and most recently a newly minted diver who goes by the title of "alykitkat."

Just this last week I uncovered an article about women in diving I published many moons ago, possibly before the majority of you were born and certainly before the vast majority of you, male or female, entered the underwater world. Even so it's historical content is just, perhaps more, appropriate for today's women divers than the day I published it, therefore I am submitting it to this board as a document as to "the way it was" in the beginning of this great sport.

Therefore;

"Pioneer women divers

DR. SAMUEL MILLER

Diving has traditionally been viewed as a sport dominated by men; unfortunately the role of women in diving has been overshadowed by this perception. A number of women have made significant pioneering contributions to the sport and their stories are often unknown and untold. Some examples of contributions made by women include the following:

Probably the best-known pioneer women divers are the Ama of Japan and their Korean counterparts Haeno divers. Originally equipped with crude goggles and protected by only a thin white cotton waist skirt they free dove as long as 6 hours a day collecting edible seaweeds and shellfish. In the 1930’s they adapted face masks and the current generation have begun to use wet suits to protect them from the icy waters surrounding their countries.

The driving force behind the great pioneer diving explorers, Jacques Cousteau and his predecessor Dr. Hans Hass, was their wives, the spunky mother of the Calypso, Simone Cousteau and the ever-lovely and gracious Lotte Hass, who turned down a lucrative Hollywood contact in 1950 to explore under the world’s oceans with her famous husband.

Women have authored a number of great diving books. Who could forget the book of the month club best seller Lady With a Spear by Dr. Eugenie Clarke? Published in 1951 it documented her 1940’s diving research for a doctorate in ichthyology from Scripps Institute of Oceanography.

One of my very favorite all time diving books is Treasure Diving Holidays by Jane and Barney Crile, published in 1954 it documents the Crile family’s diving adventures from the early 1930’s to the early 1950’s.

Skin Magazine, the world's first recreational dive magazine was founded in December 1951 in Lynnwood California. It was managed by the hard working ever gracious Connie Johnson from it's inception to her retirement 33 later in 1982. The helm was then handed over to the very active Bonnie Cardone who held the position for over 20 years until the sale and demise of the original magazine

Originally, there was only one option available to would be instructors, the very prestigious and unbelievably demanding LA County Under water Instructors Certification Course. (UICC). It is three totally committed months of a combination of USMC boot camp, doctorate level studies in oceanography, physiology, medicine and physics of diving, Olympic swimming and SEAL level scuba diving, topped by a by a graduate level defended research dissertation. Since the acceptance rate was and is very low and the course drop out rate was high it was initially assumed no woman could ever possibly pass the rigorous entrance requirements let alone pass the course. It took a cute petite very feminine Dottie Frazier to invalidate this misconception. In 1955 she became the world’s first woman certified diving instructor, leading the way for fellow pioneer women diving instructors, Barbara Allen #2, Zale Parry #3, and Lynn Chase #4, now thousands through out the world have now followed in their pioneering fin prints. Dottie has the added distinction of being a pathfinder in the dive business. She was the first woman to own and operate a dive shop and the first woman to manufacture both dry and wet suits in her Paramont California shop. A true woman diving pioneer! At 86 years young still traveling regularly to Baja where she spends a portion of every day in the water spearing dinner with her trusty tried and true Champion Arbalete spear gun

We hear so much about the women astronauts but see very little press about the women aquanauts, such as Dr. Sylvia Earle, another California resident who lived on the ocean floor in a special habitat with a crew composed solely of females. A few years later she walked around on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean at a depth of 1500 feet in a self contained one-atmosphere diving suit

Women competed right along with men in the early spear fishing competitions, Names like Lillian Kimble, Marsha Rowland, Margie Williamson, and Ellen Rogers, were well known and respected for their free diving ability and expertise with the spear gun who won a number of early spear fishing competitions out spearing their male counterparts.

When underwater photography was in its infancy women took up the camera along with their male companions. Zale Parry was one of the founders and an early president of the original Los Angels based Underwater Photographic Society. (UPS) and was a driving force in establishing the International Underwater Film festival. Gerry Murphy also a petite blonde probably holds the record for the number of articles she has written and the covers she has photographed over a span of thirty years for Skin Diver Magazine. Almost fourty years ago, Cathy Church abandoned he teaching career in Santa Barbara, California to relocate in the Caribbean where she founded and still operates a very successful underwater photography school, which bears here name. She was recently honored for her pioneering efforts and was presented with diving’s highest honor, the DEMA Reaching Out award

It is appropriate to end this article by paying tribute to the pioneer women divers of the chilly central coast. In the early 1950’s prior to certified training, wet suits, BCs and all the paraphernalia needed for modern diving Pat Gallagher, financed her college education at Cal Poly University by free diving for Pismo clams and Abalone. Mary McDonald, who often worked in the first dive shop of the central coast Bill Parkhurst’s “Seashore Sports shop”, in Pismo Beach was well known through out the state for her skill as a diver and especially her ability in capturing Pismo Clams. Jean Spierling, the youngster of the trio started her diving career 40 plus years ago. Now retired, in her mid 70’s she still manages to get wet three to four times a week in waters of the central coast.

These are some of the stories of our pioneer women divers; the ones who entered the water along side and sometimes even in front of the men in developing this sport. Equipped with the most basic of pioneering equipment, often homemade, it took a strong commitment of time and effort to develop the knowledge and experience to lead the way for the thousands of women now entering the sport who are totally unaware of the many sacrifices and the effort expended by these pioneering underwater nymphs.

These are rightful matriarchs of the sport and they alone have the honor and distinction of being referred to as "pioneer women divers." "

sdm

Thank you so much for the mention. The article is fascinating and i cant wait to read more of the articles you continue to uncover.
~Aly

The early years of SCUBA instruction were generally not a good environment for women. They were too smart to put up with the teaching "methods" of the instructors who were often former military and even more often quite macho. I believe there was one woman in my cert class in the 60's, but as I remember she dropped out.

I've been fortunate to work or dive with some of the pioneers including Dr. Sylvia Earle and Lorraine Sadler (a charter member of the Women Diver's Hall of Fame). I recently told Lorraine that I wanted to become an honorary member...

Sam, I think I missed what must have been a very interesting early publication. To quote your post "Skin Magazine, the world's first recreational dive magazine." Where can I get a copy? Just teasing ya.

The early years of SCUBA instruction were generally not a good environment for women. They were too smart to put up with the teaching "methods" of the instructors who were often former military and even more often quite macho. I believe there was one woman in my cert class in the 60's, but as I remember she dropped out."

>>>>I must disagree.
Yes, many of the early instructors were ex-military since most of us had served their county with honor in WW11 and Korean conflict. This had very little to do with the training methods which were developed by Limbaugh & Rechnitzer at SIO and in turn taught to Morgan, Tillman & Parks who used the SIO methods as a blue print for civilian instruction, much consequently was incorporated several years later as a pattern for the military. The "ex-military" has evolved from PADI who after gaining control of RSTC watered down the basic certification requirements to the point of almost being dangerous for economic gain.

>Your instructor, Ron Merker, as I and all of the early generation demanded performance rather that money from the students; the ocean does not distinguish male or female but it does recognize ill prepared divers and eats them alive

>Diving was considered as a man's domain for several generations. You were just a tadpole when US Divers ran a series of six full page advertisements on the back cover of Skin diver Magazine illustrating with photographs of men enjoying diving and announcing "Its a man's world." - I have all these covers which I shared with the UW explorer Jill Henerwith about 20 years back and which now adorns her office, as her picture with all the paraphernalia of extended UW exploration adorns my den.

>It was LA county UW Instructor Jennifer King who established Women Equipment Test Team aka; WETT about 25 years ago. That single event marks the beginning of emergence of the women in the sport of recreational diving

"I've been fortunate to work or dive with some of the pioneers including Dr. Sylvia Earle and Lorraine Sadler (a charter member of the Women Diver's Hall of Fame). I recently told Lorraine that I wanted to become an honorary member..."

>>>I have know Sylvia, but not well, since the break up of her marriage and her hook up with Al..the big boat etc.....

>Lorraine and I go back to her teen age years when she was Lorraine Bemis and dating Jim Samuels, then her marriage to Ben and subsequent divorce, becoming an LA county UW instructor and move to the island many years ago.

>Lorraine and son, Dr. Sam IV also became friends after he won the week long NAUI chamber operator's scholarship while in HS and spent week ends at the chamber for about a year to become a certified chamber operator.

We are both honored that she was accepted as a member of the WDHF

"Sam, I think I missed what must have been a very interesting early publication. To quote your post "Skin Magazine, the world's first recreational dive magazine." Where can I get a copy? Just teasing ya."

>>>SDM Vol 1 Number 1 are very scarce. Last one sold at auction was for $1200.00 plus and it was in poor condition.

> As you might expect from one wo was there and has been there for 60 plus years I have three mint copies of SDM Vol 1 Nr 1, as well as all the SDMs and catalogs bound setting in a bank of book cases about ten feet away from this computer. In addition to SDM I have about 13 addition different titles bound.

I was laboring under the impression that this article would be of interest to the current crop of female divers--sort of "where we came from and how we got this way" ---wrong!

DR SAM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom