Please clearify question on O2 Hits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi! I just finished reading through the tread Rescue and Buoyancy Control. I would like a simple clarification if possible.

Question-- Does the airway remain locked after an oxygen toxicity seizure and if so for how long?

It seems to go against my training so I would to make sure I'm straight on this one.

Thanks!
Hallmac

Howdy Hallmac:

When someone is in the "tonic" phase of a seizure, their muscles spasm- including the muscles of the glottis which close the airway. When the seizure passes and the person is post ictal (Latin for "after the attack") their voluntary muscles generally relax and they go limp.

Exactly how soon after the electrical activity of the brain associated with the seizure passes and the muscles relax is anyone's guess (unless you have the person connected to extensive monitoring equipment like EEG, etc.- unlikely in a diving situation) but you can reason that when the other muscles of the body relax, the glottis has probably relaxed too and the airway is not actively closed by muscle contractions.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

As usual that is exactly what I was looking for! thanks

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom