Please help. I have a VEO 180nx and can't get it to interface with computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff85248

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I have been using my VEO 180nx for years. I bought the wire to download the info to my DESKTOP computer. it worked after my dives last year (barely, it was hard to get it to work, took me forever)

I came back from my recent dive trip. I plugged it in and did exactly what I did last year to download the info. it just would not work.

I hear that this is a problem for many dive computers. the interface and download is not predictable.

Can anyone help? I like my VEO180nx and don't want to go to another product. besides, who's to say it won't happen with the other computers.

thanks

Jeff

Try to clean the contacts first with some Q-tips and clean water for the DC and some contact cleaner/isopropyl alcohol for the cable. You can also try to "wiggle" the connection between the DC and cable. This procedure usually works for my Suunto vyper.

What Pao said.
I found that pushing the connecting cable down once it is attached to the DC occasionally helped. Good luck.

Is it an original Oceanic Cable ?

Few years back we had tons of trouble with the cable reliably able to complete the download. Got worse. Ended up buying a new cable that apparently was a newer generation and it works great! Still glitches occasionally, but for the most part is rock solid.

I have similar issues regularly with my Oceanic Veo. Mine is in a hard boot and I have found that sometimes the puck rotates inside the boot so it doesn'st line up with the boot opening. I have also found that sometimes as mentioned that pushing up or down on the cable in the dive computer port helps. I also have to hold it there the whole time without moving it during downloads. If it has moved then I take a flat screwdriver and lever/push it into position.
!!! TAKE CAUTION not to use the contacts as leverage or fulcrum points. Only use the plastic sides. Note that this can dent the plastic indentations used to secure the cable to the dive computer. I have perfected my method to do this without damaging it. If you have doubts about this method, then disassemble the boot and remove the computer (assuming you have a wrist boot or a hard boot). Then download.
I can hear clicks from the cable pins but that is only the pins slipping off the dive computer contacts. So pin clicks are not a good thing. I can take several tries occasionally.
There should also be a USB connectivity test that you can do before trying to start the download. It is only the beginning indicator that some connectivity exists but download can still fail. I asume you have the Oceanic app and cable.
Also, I assume the cable, dive computer and desktop computer are all the same USB level or at least the desktop computer is USB 2.0 which is/should be backwards compatible but if one is USB 1.0 then you could still have issues. However you did say you got it to work before and assumes the same equipment all around.

I found the older problematic cable... The large one (top) is the old one that caused me grief. The smaller (bottom) one works almost flawlessly. Everything coledale said applies. As well as terrible connector design on a crazy overpriced cable... imo...
20160730_083532.jpg

Attachments

• 20160730_083532.jpg
    20160730_083532.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 71
I have the one of the top (the one with the large OCEANIC mark) and never had a problem downloading dive data.

I have the one of the top (the one with the large OCEANIC mark) and never had a problem downloading dive data.
With which model? I think it sorta worked with the 180 and 200, but not at all with the 2.0. Newer version works great with all 3

With which model? I think it sorta worked with the 180 and 200, but not at all with the 2.0. Newer version works great with all 3
VEO 180NX

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom