Please rate my gears...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew from the first post what people were going to say... Can be a tough crowd but they're pretty much spot on and they're all trying to help.

Every now and then a post like yours shows up where the person wants to go from "not a diver" to dive master or instructor. You can take all the classes and dives that are required but the intangible training is the experience you get when not in class. That can take years for some divers to acquire. The best way to get an education in diving is to go diving... get hundreds of dives under your belt and as many different types of dives as possible to build up your experience and diversity. Take classes as your experience and needs coincide. An 11 week DM course is kinda like going to school and getting that degree but having very little experience in the field... The title will only be a piece of paper at the moment. It will mean much more after you've worked in the field.

It's good to go through the DM course (if that fits your intended desire) but it will not mean as much as if you had a couple hundred dives before learning what you will be learning. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it because it is a good opportunity for you, but what you will get out of the 11 weeks will be different than what a seasoned diver would get out of it.

As far as equipment goes, you don't have any experience to know what you like or don't like. Do your due diligence... talk to all types of experienced divers to see what they think, not just people here on SB. :shocked2: You will need to figure out what you are going to like. Any chance you can put off the purchase or return the equipment for credit for future purchase after some dive time? If so, you will be much better off.

If after reading all these replies, you still want to do it. I say go for it! Good opportunity. Wish I had a program to pay for my DM training. Just realize that the real training starts after you get out... Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom