Please Share This on Social Media!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you think lying to people justifies the means?
Are you in politics?

I had previously spread the word on this via social media and of course got dinged by many of my non-diver friends because they thought I was unfairly bashing Disney/Pixar.

What makes me so angry is that the story was created by a guy who loves fish. He became the director as well and required the art team to take a number of marine biology courses before working on the movie to make it more authentic. He knew people would try to buy blue tangs and yet has done really nothing about it. Can you imagine the good it would do if an industry leader took a stand and told the masses to not buy a "Dory"...and to help stop the other problems like coral bleaching?

. . .
What makes me so angry is that the story was created by a guy who loves fish. He became the director as well and required the art team to take a number of marine biology courses before working on the movie to make it more authentic. . . .

That's something I have wondered about since Finding Nemo: Why the drive for authenticity/realism in a Disney film? From what I understand of Walt Disney, he was content with taking artistic license. What kid would have complained if the film had instead featured fanciful species that were sort of composites of actual species and/or from the artist's imagination? Maybe too much realism in some instances can have unintended consequences.

I personally think that aquariums are cruel.

Any cause that begins with: "As many of you know one of my hobbies is marine aquariums" has zero credibility to me, and loses my interest and support immediately.

Last edited:
Hopefully, the message will spread. That article was a little silly claiming 90% of the GBR is bleached or dying. But hey, if that's what they want to tell the masses to get people to change there ways then I'm all for it.

That is dark territory.

Last edited:
Doing my best to respect the OP's wishes that we don't turn the thread into a general debate over environmental and animal cruelty issues by trying to focus on Disney's role in this.

I personally think that aquariums are cruel.

Any cause that begins with: "As many of you know one of my hobbies is marine aquariums" has zero credibility to me, and loses my interest and support immediately.

You are ignorant to the facts. I also asked everyone to not troll this thread, which you completely ignored. But I'll ask mods to not delete these posts because I want to respond and it's my thread. :) Furthermore, because I have a love for marine life and do amazing things, which you say loses credibility with you... your response is, "I will not support the over havesting of Blue Hippo Tangs." My lord, how laughable.

Nevertheless let me help you with the facts. I'm going to simply share a post I made in response to an Undercurrent article posted on Facebook regarding the Bangaii Cardinal. Yes I'm being lazy, simply because I doubt I will change your mind, but at least others who haven't formed an opinion can see the other side of the argument. Undercurrent's post stated "Aquariums are a grave danger to the reef".

You're wrong. Unsustainable fisheries are a grave danger to the reefs. But not nearly as grave as pollution from agriculture, ports/shipping lanes and waste treatment plants right next to reefs, but that's another topic.

It is very sad the state in which the Bangaii Cardinal species is in, fortunately because of the aquarium industry we now captive breed them and therefore could restore their populations. I know many would like to see aquariums banned. I understand the reasoning; however, what those who believe that fail to realize is if it weren't for us there would have been no funding to progress the science and create the equipment to learn about corals and fish.

Why is this important? Two reasons: Aquariums introduce millions of people to these animals who otherwise would never think about them. These people learn to appreciate this life, change their habits that effect the reefs. When they read stories of the condition of our reefs they get angry, sad, many try to help in beach cleanups, stop using fertilizers, etc. For most people who don't have interaction or who aren't exposed to these animals they read an article about the condition of our reefs and say, "That sucks." And move on about their day, never thinking about it again.

Second, we are the worlds coral seed bank. Once the people/politicians have allowed the reefs to become extinct from the aforementioned reasons, who do you think is going to replenish the reefs once those problems have been cured? You guessed it... The aquarium industry. Hell, right now today many corals are traded through home propagation. We are breeding cardinal fish, damsel/clownfish, angelfish, tangs, sharks, crustaceans and corals, etc.. None of this would be possible without the aquarium industry's drive to learn about these animals, create products to house and breed them, create medicines to treat sick animals, etc.

So, before you make a blanket condemnation statement like "Aquariums are a grave danger to the reefs.", think about that and do some more research. As with any fishery, sustainable practices work. Hawaii is a perfect example of that. I am glad to see the Bangaii Cardinal will eventually be protected, I just hope the NOAA and the ESA language exempts captive breeding and domestic trade as that may be the only hope to prevent the species from going extinct.

Also, I would like to share a list of the marine fish that have successfully been captive bred, thanks in large part to the marine aquarium hobby. CORAL Magazine’s Captive-Bred Marine Fish Species List for

I will also point out for several species of coral, there is more global distribution "on land" compared to the natural reef through individual coral propagation. I have an image showing this distribution and if I can find it I will post it here.

In addition, WE, the aquarium industry are the ones really trying to make a difference. One great example is Walt Smith Intl. in Fiji. We are literally supporting a Coral Ark project (Yes, like Noah's Ark) and various other projects to save the reefs, what are you doing for the reefs? ADE_Home Page Reefproject 2.0 actually is a project that I indirectly am involved with by helping my friend put man made live rock in tanks rather than naturally harvested rock from the ocean. Hell, that's how I actually got into Scuba. I'm helping haul thousands of pounds of rock voluntarily.

You know, a lot of people like to act like they're doing something. They'll post something on social media and think they've made a difference. But in reality they aren't doing a damn thing. I can make the same argument about recreational hunters and fisherman often labeled as destructive to the environment, when in reality most support and practice conservation and sustainability. And the big difference is we put our money where out mouth is. Same goes for many in the aquarium industry. So spare me the notion that were the evil people that many try to label us as.

All that said, why don't you help and spread the word that people shouldn't buy Blue Hippo Tangs after watching Finding Dory! - From the evil aquarium hobbyist's mouth.

Last edited:
You know, a lot of people like to act like they're doing something. They'll post something on social media and think they've made a difference. But in reality they aren't doing a damn thing.

Except putting beautiful and free living breathing creatures in cages.

And then calling those in opposition ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom