PNG - Baggage Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm flying from Brisbane to PM to Hoskins on Air Nuigini in July. I will have a backpack with most of my camera gear, a rollaboard with all essential dive gear as a carry on, and one small checked bag with clothes. Will this be ok as long as I'm under the total allotted weight limit or is there a limit on individual bags ? ( my backpack 18lbs, rollaboard 18lbs and checked back 15lbs) My other thought was to skip the checked clothing bag, and and wear layers. Just peel and leave as needed.

Here's a bit of info from the Walindi Plantation website...

Luggage
If you are flying into Papua New Guinea with Air Niugini (PX flight number, not QF codeshare) and connecting same day to an Air Niugini domestic flight, then you should be allowed an additional 15kg checked luggage allowance for dive gear.
This is an arrangement between PNG divers Association and Air Niugini. Some counter staff might not know of this, but it is always worth asking the question. Regular weight allowances for economy passengers on Air Niugini flights are 23kg for international and 16kg for domestic flights. For more information please see the Air Niugini web site.

Mike:

I say we take six kilos of extra money and just pay the additional bag fees. We're not bribing anyone, we're just paying for pounds, right? That's our story and, as long as we stick with it, we'll believe it.

The tickets, on their face, specify 30 kilos each so, as long as the AN folks at the desks in Brisbane, Port Moresby and Hoskins read and speak English, we're good to go! If not, we dip into the cash until we're light enough to fly.

Or we just charter the airplane. Simple enough, eh buddy?

The only way I could get to six kilos of cash, is if I bring penny's in heavy metal box.

Now that I am back from the trip, I thought I would update the post to help others in the future.
- our flights on air new nuigini had pre arranged baggage allowances. 46kgs for the BNE to POM leg, and 32 kgs for the POM to GUR domestics flight.
- we checked in with the 46kgs each for the BNE to POM flight. So we thought we were going to have to pay overage for the domestic. Which had heard about $5 used per kilo over for domestic. So no fees for international
- when we checked in for the domestic, I told them that we were divers and they gave us an extra 15 kilos for free. So we ended up not paying anything for baggage. Both ways, we did the diving trick. And that worked. However I think the key was getting the prearranged 32 kilos for the domestic. It's normally less than that. It actually stated it on our itinerary print out.
- carry ons. We each had a think tank back back. They weighted probably 15 kilos at least and were packed full. They didn't ask us to weight them so it wasn't an issue. I didn't see them weighing other either. However most people didn't have a huge backpack and a roller bag. I suspect this would raise some alarms.
- Virgin Australia. Will not and cannot check your bags onto air nuigini. In BNE you must collect your bags and go through customs and immigration...where we were sniffed by dogs. Then had to re check in with VA. And go through security etc...our flight arrived early so this helped. But the 2 hour layover would have been tough to hit, but we would have made it, barely.

Thanks everyone for their help. Btw. Air nuigjni was surprisingly not an issues at all. All of our flights were on time. I recommend taking early morning domestic flights.
Dustin

I'm off to Tufi for Christmas, and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Airlines of PNG?

I'm flying Cairns-Port Moresby on Air Niugini, which gives me a 30kg check-in allowance. But the Airlines of PNG domestic connection from Port Moresby to Tufi is only 23kg. I can get everything in my dive bag at around 27-28kg, but 23 is not going to happen. However, I don't want my dive bag left behind due to the flight being overweight. If I cough up the extra per kilo rate at PM for the domestic Airlines of PNG sector, would that pretty much guarantee my dive bag flies on the same flight as me?

Can't speak to Air Niugini, but BNE was one of the longest check in time of any airport. We arrived 2 and half hours early and by the time we made it to the gate our flight was being called for boarding. LAX was a breeze in comparison. We sat in the UA "lounge" for longer than anyone would wish too as I had heard horror stories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom