pocket rescue mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who performs field resucitation regularly, I've got issues with pocket masks offshore. They are:

> Establishing / maintaining an effective seal. Try it in the dry sometime in ideal conditions on a suitable mankin; most mask brands require two full hand grips to seal effectively, whilst maintaining proper head tilt, whilst delivering an appropriate volume of air to the patient - no small feat in ideal conditions.

> Mask contamination

> Patient propulsion. If you're a lone rescuer, you'll be forced to tow the patient by their jawline / head to make way while attempting to breathe for them. If you have help, you'll be a hinderence to speed due to the necessary body position for delivering breaths.

> Inability to conduct REALISTIC practice. This problem extends for all forms of in-water rescue breathing, making it difficult to impossible to evaluate the efficacy of a given technique, or for the develoment of rescuer skill competency.

In most instances I believe it to be in the patient's best interest for the rescuer to make all speed for the nearest hard, flat, & dry surface to conduct effective BLS. There are exceptions of course, for instance: a witnessed drowning where the patient is recovered to surface quickly. Chances are the patient's heart is still functioning & respirations might be restored quickly with immediate ventillations. There are no doubt other examples. Perhaps it would be best to educate rescuers to the realities, then train them to use common sense judgement on a case-by-case basis. But I digress. Keep the pocket mask w/ oxygen port in the 1st aid kit & provide your patient about 40% O2, or better yet, get certified in the use of a bag valve & give them close to 100% O2!

Regards,
DSD

I agree. The idea of giving rescue breaths in the water is great in theory in a pool or calm waters, it is not realistic in an ocean or rough enviornment and it wastes precious time getting the victum to where they can be treated properly.

The masks that come with the EFR pack are pretty nice and seem to have more of an air cushion in the outside of the mask than other cheaper masks, which helps to create a better seal. I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

One important thing about theses masks: The valve comes out very easily in water. I know some people crazy glue the valves to prevent from losing them.

I also think that trying to do rescue breaths in the water is an exercise in futility, especially if the boat or shore is close. This is especially true if you are delaying chest compression by trying to give rescue breaths in the water.

As someone who performs field resucitation regularly, I've got issues with pocket masks offshore. They are:

> Establishing / maintaining an effective seal. Try it in the dry sometime in ideal conditions on a suitable mankin; most mask brands require two full hand grips to seal effectively, whilst maintaining proper head tilt, whilst delivering an appropriate volume of air to the patient - no small feat in ideal conditions.

Not sure if it was the instructor or a new standard, but my latest CPR/O2/First Aid class specifically said that it was much more beneficial to get the victim to the boat or shore as fast as possible, and that any CPR, etc. efforts in the water just delay effective treatment and are a not recommended.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom