Pohnpei diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone been diving on Pohnpei over the last three years or knows of a reliable dive operation or individual dive master for diving over a period of two weeks? Diving with an operator that caters mainly to Japanese or Chinese not a problem. Thanks.

Hi there, I happened to be browsing this board and realised I could answer your question so created an account. I did four dives in Pohnpei a couple of weeks ago with the dive/surf shop at Mangrove Bay Hotel. The operation was good and I saw plenty of underwater life. The shop owner is called Allois. Hope you enjoy diving on Pohnpei if you decide to go!

Hi there, I happened to be browsing this board and realised I could answer your question so created an account. I did four dives in Pohnpei a couple of weeks ago with the dive/surf shop at Mangrove Bay Hotel. The operation was good and I saw plenty of underwater life. The shop owner is called Allois. Hope you enjoy diving on Pohnpei if you decide to go!
Thanks for your reply.
I'm thinking you dove with Pohnpei Surf Club? Did it seem like a pretty well established operation? Did they run scheduled boats, or just make arrangements when enough people got together? Were you part of a group? How many in your group? How many people were on the boat with you? Had you made arrangements in advance?
I'm worried that after traveling halfway around the world I won't be able to dive consistently or for for a reasonable price.
Thanks again!

Has anyone been diving on Pohnpei over the last three years or knows of a reliable dive operation or individual dive master for diving over a period of two weeks? Diving with an operator that caters mainly to Japanese or Chinese not a problem. Thanks.
Curious. What makes you want to go there? I’m going to Yap and Palau next year; never considered Pohnpei.

My wife and I dived Pohnpei about ~5 years ago.

The diving is a bit wild... couple of passes with 100's of grey reef sharks, a nice channel to dive with mantas (we saw 6 on one dive) on an incoming tide (don't do it on an outgoing tide - the vis is like 10 feet, you could be surrounded my mantas and you won't even see them).

The trip to Ahnd Atoll is worth it, but pick the best weather day possible - the trip back can be very rough Seriously).

The Pohpei Surf Club runs the best boat on the island - all the others are small (and a bit leaky :wink:

If you want to make sure you go each day, you may have to book the boat. We travelled far enough we wanted to make sure we got to dive, so guaranteed the boat fee if they didn't fill it otherwise.

Nan Madol - worth an afternoon at least... stunning site for natural history.

Thanks for this.
Do you remember what time of year you visited?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom