Point Lobos Middle Reef 360 View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3D diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took my SP360 rig to Point Lobos Middle Reef.

Harbor Seals, Lingcod, a distant Sheephead, school of Blue Rockfish & I lose my snorkel.

What more could you want?

Besides cameras with higher resolution and better low light capability...D'oh!

Actually, these are starting to look better. You are right about the resolution but you are getting a pretty steady camera and over all they are improving.

Thank you.

Here's a photo of the rig I used:

rig-050116_zpsijewzlzn.jpg

GoPro 3D on top, pair of SP360s (for 360 view) and GoPro 3D in timelapse mode on bottom. The rig is 8 or 9 pounds on dry land. The Divinycell floats render it a little positive on the surface---neutral at depth---and help maintain a vertical/level orientation even when handled with one hand. That, and the rigs mass, help keep things steady.

I was lucky, this dive, to have some big fish that would let me get close. I was within 1-3 feet of the lings and Canary Rockfish, but the sheephead wouldn't let me get closer than maybe 5 feet.

I'll start editing the 3D footage today. I'm not sure what I'll do with the 3D timelapse. I was hoping to use some of it between clips in the 3D video, but the workflow for converting it to a 3D video clip is trickier than I expected. It was mostly an experiment to see how long I could get the cameras to run---they were wetted twice when my housing seal was compromised on two consecutive dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom