Point Vincente

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Hoover

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I decided to hide from the swell on Saturday down in Palos Verdes. The morning was spent hiking trails to Flat Rock, Lunada and even a dive at Marineland. A couple spearfishermen headed out to Long Point before I was ready for a second dive. Felt rude to blow bubbles and scare away the white seabass so the quest was on for a new spot to dive.

The ocean below Point Vincente looks fair. There is peace of mind in determined action. I want to avoid the dissatisfaction that comes wandering along the traveled paths during poor conditions. The decision is made.

Secure footing is the primary focus over the next half hour. This is peace, at least for me. Loose cobbles and boulders along the shoreline remind me of rock hopping as a child. Towards the point some are inlaid with layers of crystal. I must be off the beaten path since these are not occupying some rock collector's garden.

At the edge of the water the swell rises and falls two or three feet. Rocks are loose and going is slow. Slowness is discipline and patience is virtue. The journey over the kelp reminds me of crawling through chaparral in younger days. Do we ever really change?

The dive is everything I hoped for. Pinnacles like Dume are terraced with channels between. Invertebrates are diverse and I note an abundance of the yellow sulfur sponge. Maybe I'll find Tylodina fungina here some day.

I settle into nudibranch photography. Here are my favorite shots.

249616_211378068895788_100000707906493_671549_5848600_n.jpg

Dendrodoris behrensi and Pinauay marina

230251_211378162229112_100000707906493_671551_6029412_n.jpg

Flabellina iodinea is usually halfway to taking flight

228236_211378275562434_100000707906493_671552_3041428_n.jpg

Peltodoris nobilis and egg rosette

248446_211378332229095_100000707906493_671553_4928986_n.jpg

My favorite nudibranch, Mexichromis porterae

Great images and even greater determination! There are some incredible pinnacles SW of Whale Rock, but I've never heard of anyone beach diving Pt. Vicente before. Where did you begin your descent into the rocky decline? :)
I just thought about it and you probably dived the Pt. Vicente Fishing Access. I had the point pictured in my head.

Towards the point some are inlaid with layers of crystal. I must be off the beaten path since these are not occupying some rock collector's garden.
Great shots! Really like the first one, perfect composition.

Did you enter in the cove @ Fishing Access? Closer to Whale Rock? Or in the other direction towards Buchanon's & Long Point?
OldMarinelandDiversMap.jpg

I've been meaning to explore Pt. Vicente more.

Ahhh, Whale Rock is the name. Entered the water at Point Vincente Fishing Access and hiked to the point. Swam out to Whale Rock and dived straight south. Probably missed the better deep structure to the west. 20 to 30 feet deep was really nice. Swam back as swimming is easier on the ankles. Would prefer to swim both ways next time.

Thanks for the feedback and the awesome map.

There was a current at Marineland running from the cove to the point but no noticable current at Vincente. The surge was moderate.

Saw a 3-4 foot white seabass in 15 feet off the point inside the kelp. It is the second one I have ever seen on scuba. The first was at Dume above the outer pinnacle. Seeing a thresher would be worth the walk ten times over.

Going to brave the surf report at Shaw's Cove on Saturday morning. Still looking for Tylodina. Nudipixel has a collection of shots for each slug and the dates that the shots were taken. To find rarer slugs check the dates the shots were taken. Dates often cluster around a season.

Tylodina on Nudipixel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom